In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Printing Art(glass/copper) grabar(design/outline) grabar
- Its surface was etched with carvings and hieroglyphics, dating back to the dawn of the world itself.
- The early process involved etching a design replicated from a travel book onto a copper plate.
- The major turned the buckle in his fingers and frowned at the jagged characters etched into the metal.
- Islamic words and passages from the Koran (the sacred text of Islam) are often etched in elaborate calligraphy.
- I experimented with etching copper plates with three different etchants.
- One submission called for photographs of victims to be etched into glass plates.
- The date it all started is indelibly etched on the former police officer's memory.
- Their names had been etched into the glass but the pane was shattered by hooligans who climbed onto scaffolding and kicked in the windows.
- Miller was the first photojournalist to witness these scenes, and the images she captured are indelibly etched on the public consciousness.
- And it's like other dates that you know are going to be etched in our memory forever.
- The front layer of glass is etched with a grid pattern on the inside surface to form a template for the liquid crystals.
- Printing that picks up ink from lines cut or etched in a metal plate is called intaglio printing.
- Wednesday 30th September 1984 was such a life-changing day for me that the date has been etched on my memory ever since.
- While some actors would resent never being able to shake off their past, John says he is proud to have been responsible for a character who is indelibly etched on the nation's psyche.
- The great claymore shone in all its glory, its black and gold hilt, intricately etched with the markings of the society.
- The poem will be etched in the memorial stone - a tangible acknowledgement of the loss of life and accompanying grief, says Appleton.
- So if you want to remember a date that will be etched in history, Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast area August 29th.
- The masking layer is patterned so as to form a desired arrangement of metal lines by etching the underlying metal layer.
- On either side of him were tall columns of black stone upon which were etched stories of evil gods and battles from long ago.
- The final will be a huge undertaking for a team which could be etched in the annals of history.
- Standing at the centre of the memorial are six large basalt obelisks etched with the names of all the countries where Australians have been held prisoner of war.
- Where needed, precast concrete panel walls are erected, etched with images of local wildlife.
- Etched inside the shank and barely visible is the jeweller's mark, a delicate snowflake.
- The year 1963 is etched in the hearts and minds of many people as the year in which President John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas, Texas.
- They also vandalized three fast-food restaurants by etching the glass.
- The design is etched into the gold leaf with a sharp needle-like instrument.
- It was an impressive place, to be sure; the ceiling was high above the floor and intricate designs were etched into the stone and wood.
- She uses acid to etch designs into the surface of metal plates, echoing the way that wind and water wear away at stone over time.
- Public education is a responsibility that is etched into the constitutions or statutes of the states.
- I spot the bar's logo, etched onto the plate glass windows.
- I could take a screwdriver and etch some very interesting designs on your car, but I doubt you would call me an artist.
- My fingers lingered on the smooth leaves etched into the metal as I turned to Adam with a questioning look in my eyes.
- Light can focus atoms into simple patterns for etching carbon-coated gold layers.
- Guernica is etched in my consciousness as the image of defencelessness, trampled innocence, Franco's savagery.
- The Torah was etched into stone and brought down a mountain.
- Most manufacturers offer choices of beveled, etched, and stained glass.
- A beginner can produce etched glassware and small flat pieces of glass and mirror with no experience.
- ‘Her nickname was Malva, and that is what is etched onto the glass,’ said Arnot.
- Much controversy still remains regarding the techniques used, but all processes began with etching and/or engraving the desired design on a copperplate.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.