In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For example, the alcohol derivative of methane is methanol and of ethane is ethanol.
- It consists mainly of methane, the simplest hydrocarbon, as well as small amounts of heavier, more complex hydrocarbons such as ethane, butane and propane.
- Earth-based and space-based observers have long known that Titan's atmosphere contains methane, ethane, acetylene and many other hydrocarbon compounds.
- The samples showed high concentrations of methane, ethane, butane, and propane, gases in a class of hydrocarbons called alkanes.
- The gas component may be ethane, propane, butane, carbon dioxide, or hydrogen sulphide, but is most commonly methane.
- Some familiar examples include methane, ethane, propane, and kerosene.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.