In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One proposed explanation is that animal alcoholics are after the high calorie nourishment of ethanol.
- Alcohol, or ethanol, to give it its chemical name, creates a poisonous substance called acetaldehyde.
- Is ethanol in fuel really so good for the environment and are the claims that it damages your car just spin?
- The residual ethanol was evaporated by spreading out the solid on a sheet of filter paper.
- Having another drink, the theory goes, makes the liver switch back to dealing with ethanol, easing the pain.
- In vinegar this is acetic acid, i.e. the acid derived from the alcohol, ethanol.
- Production of ethanol is also expected to reduce the environmental impact of relying on fossil fuel.
- I recently discovered that I have an allergy to alcohols, including ethanol.
- One possible explanation for these exceptional findings might be contamination of the ethanol with a mutagen.
- He was found to have a concentration of 216 mg of ethanol in his blood.
- The regime put in place has benefited and will continue to benefit a company that produces ethanol from grain.
- The ethanol used, contained butylated hydroxytoluene as an antioxidant.
- The company will also release four vehicles that can run on fuel-efficient ethanol next year.
- The ethanol is oxidized first into an aldehyde and then to acetic acid by the oxygen in the atmosphere.
- It is an additive used to make the ethanol produced undrinkable by people.
- Mr Beattie says the partnership will hopefully encourage fuel users to convert to ethanol.
- The market for brandy and other products is already saturated so the wine will be turned into ethanol and other chemicals.
- So, motorists hoping that the use of ethanol in petrol will cut their fuel bills are set to be disappointed.
- The world's other major biofuel is ethanol, a form of alcohol already widely used as a fuel additive.
- Now a mixture of five percent ethanol is permitted and the proportion is likely to double in coming years.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.