In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For a start, the letters generally point in the opposite direction to the Greek ones, because Etruscan was written from right to left, whereas classical Greek was written from left to right.
2(person)etrusco masculineetrusca feminine
- What makes him warm to the Etruscans is their sensitivity.
- But the Etruscans were under constant pressure from communities to the north, and increasingly from Rome in the south.
- In many respects, the culture of the Etruscans was very similar to that of the Mycenae in Greece.
- Birds are beautiful creatures that have captured humans' fancy at least since the Etruscans studied their flight patterns for clues to the future nearly 3000 years ago.
- It is thought that the first set was made more than two thousand years ago by the Etruscans.
- Hunting, fishing, and wrestling are represented in the pre-literate art of the Etruscans, Egyptians, and Chinese, and in fact in nearly all primitive art.
- Some people have argued that they may have been related to the Etruscans of Italy, but since the Etruscans have all been dead for thousands of years it is hard to tell.
- In particular, the Romans fought against the Etruscans and the Samnites.
- The more advanced civilizations of both Etruscans and Greeks were gradually absorbed by the Romans.
- The Tuscan people are justly proud of their ancestry right back as far as the Etruscans 3000 years ago.
- For the Etruscans, armed combat between individuals was connected to religious practice. Men fought to the death beside the tomb of their chief in order to strengthen their spirits as well as the spirits of others.
- A tradition of wine-making stretches back thousands of years to the Etruscans.
- The Etruscans dominated Central Italy from the Po valley down to Campania by the seventh century BC.
- The Etruscans used the sarcophagus with a characteristic feature of the effigy of the deceased reclining on the lid.
- The prices of pots militate against this interpretation of the evidence, however, and in life the Etruscans enjoyed gold and silver vessels at their banquets.
- Most of the thousands of known fragments written by the Etruscans are funerary inscriptions.
- Strategically situated in the Mediterranean, the island has attracted an endless succession of invaders, from the Etruscans and the Saracens to the Pisans and the Genoese.
- I realize that the Romans' attitude to the Etruscans is parallel to ours with regard to the American Indians, and that we carry this oblique, shadowy, invidious guilt about these genocides.
- Then again, there are letters in the ‘model’ alphabet, such as beta, delta and omicron, which were never used by the Etruscans because their language did not include the particular sounds for which those letters stood in Greek.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.