In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- An example is the notion of eugenics, a painful memory in the history of science.
- It was a drastic form of eugenics, a desire to improve the race by eliminating genetic defects.
- It is easy to criticise the premarital medical examination on grounds of human rights, control, oppression, and eugenics.
- As the explosion in genetic research continued, the temptation of eugenics grew ever more alluring.
- He believes the history of eugenics is the history of government out of control, not geneticists.
- He devoted the latter part of his life to eugenics, i.e. improving the physical and mental makeup of the human species by selected parenthood.
- Racism and eugenics were very popular among Leftists in Hitler's day.
- Not only was eugenics said to be good science, it was also supported by Scripture.
- Once you've got regulated breeding, it's a short skip to selective breeding - eugenics.
- After World War I they were less sanguine about progress and more inclined to the hereditarian pessimism of eugenics.
- In the United States in recent years, interest in eugenics has centered around genetic screening.
- A world not only of eugenics, but also of tight government control over all aspects of human reproduction.
- But the origin of eugenics was simply a desire to increase the odds that a child would be born healthy.
- Clearly, contemporary views of heritability are populist market eugenics in a new form.
- Not today, anyway, though there have been times when it has: social Darwinism and eugenics made claims like that.
- And as you know eugenics is defined as the science of improving the qualities of the human race.
- His enduring fame, or infamy, rests on eugenics, which means, crudely, the selective breeding of humans.
- Just to stop us getting too excited, we were cautioned by stories of eugenics and mutant pigs.
- In Erlangen, the University keenly promoted the science of eugenics.
- Although critics insist that eugenics was based on bad science, they often ignore the link to evolution.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.