In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The highest increase in dollar value to the euro in the past two years does not worry Bulgarian economists.
- The downturn in the US should be expected to lead to a fall in the US dollar against the euro.
- The strength of the euro against the dollar caused significant problems in 2004.
- It predicted that the dollar would fall to $1.07 against the euro in the current year.
- Britain has been skittish in the extreme about abandoning pound sterling for the euro.
- I bought my digital camera upon landing in the States for several hundred euro cheaper than Ireland.
- He blames the continued strength of sterling against other currencies, particularly the euro.
- Two kids come into possession of £250,000 and need to spend it before the currency changes to the euro.
- The German mark was introduced as a parallel currency to the Yugoslav dinar and then the euro.
- The Dutch greeted the euro with a national party, champagne at bank queues and general merriment.
- And next February the Irish punt will cease to be legal tender when it is replaced by the euro.
- It has been years now since much of Europe abandoned national currencies for the euro.
- The rocketing value of the euro against the dollar means interest rates will not rise this year.
- They have all been influenced by the unexpected surge in the value of the euro against the dollar.
- From the change in the exchange rate, it is not possible to make any inferences about the value of the dollar or the euro.
- The currency markets are busily marking sterling down against both the dollar and the euro in anticipation of early action.
- But higher oil prices and the fall in the value of the dollar against the euro impacted export growth.
- My view is that the pound moves more closely with the dollar than with the euro.
- Unless we see the dollar and the euro coming closer to parity, it is unlikely to happen.
- In 2002, France will convert from the franc to the euro for all financial transactions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.