In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Instead, the authors provide a Eurocentric view of pollution and its causes.
- Conventional historians will find the unashamedly Eurocentric view disturbing, and will judge the author's use of evidence rather cavalier.
- The last have been favored in histories of world Jewry, and for too long those histories have been skewed by their Eurocentric view.
- The main focus may have been Eurocentric, but there was a constant consideration of non-European cultures, in particular India and China.
- Among some sectors of society, ‘Aussie’ is regarded as Eurocentric and anachronistic in a nation officially committed to ethnic and racial inclusiveness.
- The result was a Eurocentric view of world history in which Africans had no part.
- Rather, they map onto each other and reinforce a politically conservative, Eurocentric view of culture.
- This is because certain towns have simply meaningless names connected to Eurocentric history while other names represent vicious corruption of indigenous names which need to be corrected.
- To paraphrase the good brother, the ban was a deliberate attempt to suppress African culture and impose their Eurocentric Christianity.
- Australia was part of the British Empire and at school I was taught a fairly Britain-centric and Eurocentric view of the world.
- When I got to Union in New York, the culture was elitist, Eurocentric, competitive and individualistic.
- The Aryan Invasion theory propounded by western scholars gives a Eurocentric history of civilization, based on racial parameters.
- History at school had been taught from a Eurocentric perspective, focusing on colonisation or slavery in Africa.
- A Eurocentric nationalist view of history would posit ‘One World, Many Tribes’ as the oldest and least mature social formation.
- Proponents of the former position were cast as conservative upholders of Enlightenment verities clinging to modernism as the last bastion of a Eurocentric culture.
- So the point is that criminologists should be committed in their research to understanding the world marginalized by Eurocentric culture.
- This book broke with the Eurocentric conceptions of African history and immediately the book became one of the most widely-read and influential books on Africa and the third world in general.
- In more than one instance their Eurocentric view eclipsed their respect, and they overlaid their names on ancient rock art and structures.
- Most of these so called healthy weight indicators do not take many things into account and are biased towards a Eurocentric view of size and beauty.
- This Eurocentric view ignored the many other right-to-left scripts: until about ad 1500 there were about as many right-to-left scripts as left-to-right ones.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.