In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the absence of such evidence we see no need for the Attorney General to lead evidence in rebuttal.
- For the Crown it is argued that this evidence was admissible but not as evidence of similar facts.
- The answer to this question depends on what evidence was properly admissible at the trial.
- He is entitled by law to call evidence and to be represented by counsel at such a hearing.
- The claimant introduced the documentary evidence at the start of the hearing.
1.2(statements)the evidence for the defense/prosecution — el descargo de la defensa/el capítulo de cargos
- anything you say may be taken down and used in evidence against you — cualquier cosa que diga podrá utilizarse como prueba en su contra
- to give evidence for/against sb — declarar / prestar declaración a favor/en contra de algn
(objects)pruebas feminineto destroy the evidence — destruir las pruebas
- the revolver was produced as evidence — el revólver fue presentado como prueba
2.1(grounds, supporting data)pruebas femininewhat is the evidence that God exists? — ¿qué prueba(s) hay de que Dios exista?
- some of the evidence suggests a conspiracy — hay indicios que apuntan a una conspiración
- The shadow of the Earth cast on the Moon during an eclipse added experimental evidence to the belief.
- Now what matters is not how a treatment is categorised but whether there's evidence to support it.
- At the moment it appears that workers do not have to provide evidence of their belief.
- There is a difference between something being true and there being evidence.
- The limited evidence available indicated that the advice given was generally good.
- You could at least do us the honour of pretending you care whether there's any evidence or not before you act.
- There is also a substantial body of evidence that would support a contrary argument.
- Major studies based on a growing body of evidence show that pesticides are not safe.
- Thirdly, wise policy decisions can only be based upon the best available evidence.
- This is not because it would be unsafe, but because we have no evidence to suggest whether or not it is safe.
- As a scientist, I would ask him to present some credible evidence for this belief.
- We have attempted to find the best available evidence for the topics we discuss.
- He pondered whether such video evidence might be used to counter the threat of a touchline ban.
- There is no evidence to suggest whether the sniffers are local or are from outside the area.
- Insufficient evidence is available to judge whether this relation is cause and effect.
- The body of evidence on the health of swine clones is considerably more limited than for bovine clones.
- This pattern is consistent within the whole body of evidence in the present study.
- The question, if one tries to balance all the available evidence, is a lot trickier than it may seem.
- Well I do not know where you would get that idea but I have no evidence of this being true.
- The evidence now questions whether the grounds on which we went to war were right.
2.2(testimony)testimonio masculineon the evidence of those present — según (el testimonio / las declaraciones de) los que estuvieron presentes
- the evidence of the senses — el testimonio de los sentidos
2.3(sign, indication)indicio masculineseñal femininethe house showed evidence of neglect — la casa se veía descuidada
- Since there are some evidences for both, they are indicated by Roman but not bolded letters in the transcription shown above.
- Everywhere are evidences of faded ambitions and forlorn whistles in the dark…
- Citing several discrepancies including mistake in name of the girl in the report the court decided to ignore the DNA test reports and reached to a conclusion depending on other evidences.
- There are several evidences of his appreciation of the greatest Soviet ruler.
- These evidences indicated that houseflies could be used as a model system, with the possible wider application of alleviating symptoms of aging in human subjects.
- There are a variety of additional evidences, which indicate that most, if not all, of the Columbia River basalts were extruded underwater.
- How is our sense of place affected by evidences of globalization?
- Many other interesting evidences of liberality on behalf of the lord of the soil present themselves, which are well worthy of notice.
- The evidences are all there that there is a supernatural being.
- Group III consisted of 30 clinical samples collected from lesions that had definitive evidences of non tuberculous disease conditions, was included as negative control.
- But there is peril ahead if we don't modernize the system, invest in energy the way we need to, because there will be other evidences of problems coming up.
- That there is not even a single Muslim district magistrate or senior superintendent of police in any of the 70 districts and police harassment were clear evidences of the government's bias against Muslims, he said.
- Subtle evidences are indications of the trend to suppress public display of Christianity in favor of other religions, paganism, or simply anti-Christian sentiment.
- Well, first, there are historical evidences for the text.
- If some in the present ministry have been charge-sheeted in various criminal cases, there were also quite a few ministers and party in the earlier government with audio-visual evidences of their taking bribes.
- Every now and then the scientist and anthropologists discovers new evidences, which fortify India's claim of being culturally most advanced in the ancient times.
- The end of the twentieth century also brought evidences of decline, marked by ephemera, bombastic spectacle, revivals from better times, and periodic infusions of life from Europe and England.
- The first is an attempt to see whether there is evidence of Greek influence.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.