In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Marauding dogs massacred ewes in lamb in Aramoho at the weekend.
- It was following the weaning of the lambs from the ewes during the second week of August, when we also weaned Daisy's two lambs.
- Small amounts of meal fed in time will rectify loss in condition, cramming it in later only leads to thinner ewes and larger lambs.
- With the ewe numbers hovering around 200, it looks as though we shall be selling the ewes back in the sheep market.
- Sheep scrapie, a similar prion disease, passes from ewes to their lambs.
- They have about 1,000 ewes plus lambs between them and are anxiously watching them for signs of the disease.
- A farmer has threatened to shoot any dogs he sees on his land after four ewes with lambs were injured and one killed in a late-night attack.
- A ewe suckling two lambs growing at 0.3 kg per day is as productive as a dairy cow yielding 30 litres of milk per day.
- There are now about 600,000 Scottish Black Face ewes in the country after de-stocking.
- Although many ewes have already dropped their lambs, some producers have ewes lambing through to August.
- Some of the sheep, mostly ewes, were in shock and had to be carried via a human chain from the lorry.
- A mid season lambing flock of 240 ewes is also run with the cattle enterprise.
- The ewes in lamb are being moved to safer paddocks beyond the museum, while the goats and the pony have been found temporary homes.
- Mountain ewes produce less lambs than their lowland counterparts and fetch a lower prices at the mart.
- The couple had kept a flock of sheep in that particular field, 30 ewes and two rams to be exact.
- Farmers have been unable to bring in ewes for lambing after wintering them on hills and in fields, while calving has also been disrupted.
- Firstly, we shall be selling in the sheep shed with a full live auction of hoggs, ewes and spring lambs, if there are any about.
- Even the family pet let loose in the countryside can cause great distress to sheep, including pregnant ewes and lambs.
- A further 2,000 breeding ewes and hoggets were on offer on the day also.
- Some viewers complained about the mustering of pregnant ewes and newborn lambs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.