In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1que no figura en la guía telefónicaprivado Mexicoshe went ex-directory — pidió que su número no figurara en la guía
- You can't get any station as they are all ex-directory but I was put through to an Arriva number with no answer.
- The only answer they receive from me is the question, ‘Where did you get this ex-directory number?’
- Bowen said Californians are very privacy conscious, as borne out by the fact that half the people in the state had ex-directory telephone numbers to shield them from telemarketers, another bane of daily life.
- As Mike himself points out, if Mr Horgan has chosen not to go ex-directory, even though he's the director of a number of companies, then he is asking for trouble.
- Well, I have had my phone number changed and I am ex-directory but I am not convinced that certain people might not have connections with BT, so I am not going to say anything.
- Even BT managed to add to our problems by making our telephone number ex-directory.
- First, I was surprised to learn that all Aldi store telephone numbers are ex-directory and amazed at the comment from the regional office.
- Also, many people choose to be ex-directory - that is, they have taken action for their telephone numbers not to appear in a telephone directory.
- I tried telephone enquiries, to be told that the number was ex-directory.
- Eircom were also criticised for proposing to disclose some details of its ex-directory subscribers to other telecom companies.
- We've always been very careful about keeping our home telephone number ex-directory.
- The telephone number of the pub has also been changed and is now ex-directory.
- No phone number is listed and if there is one, it is ex-directory.
- I'm ex-directory so I don't know how these people got hold of my address.
- Free directory enquiries on the same site gives you the home phone number of any of those people not ex-directory.
- You discover your mother and father have changed their telephone number and have gone ex-directory.
- Being ex-directory and registered with the Telephone Preference Service, I rarely have to deal with annoying sales calls.
- The increasing number of private households who prefer to go ex-directory poses further problems for outbound telemarketing.
- I have suffered death threats and I have even had to move my family to a new home and go ex-directory because I was afraid for their lives.
- As I discover when I try to get hold of him before our interview, his production company is ex-directory.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.