In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She believes that processed food, particularly ready meals, are exacerbating the problem.
- I find that if I walk fast, it exacerbates the situation and the urge to pee right there on the sidewalk gets stronger.
- Vicky, Alex's wealthy sister, exacerbates the situation by offering Neil money.
- Significant reductions in the number of primary school pupils are in some cases exacerbating financial problems.
- Pilots, unhappy at the increased expectations placed on them, are exacerbating the situation by striking for improved pay and conditions.
- The apparently untreated road was progressively freezing-over, exacerbating the problem.
- These issues were all being felt in our local communities, with the last three years of public housing reforms only exacerbating the situation.
- The child's detachment exacerbates the parents' feeling of helplessness.
- Rising energy costs, which are a result of a growing scarcity, as well as inflation, are exacerbating the situation.
- He also criticised the city's universities for exacerbating the situation.
- So what they do is take the driving test and then they fail, and it simply exacerbates the situation.
- The premature closure of Fairhaven Road and problems caused by access from Frenches Road to Linkfield Lane exacerbates the situation.
- At least the government is trying to find an actual solution, rather than exacerbating the problem.
- And if you extend its availability you are merely exacerbating the problem.
- Vehicles driving through the floodwaters were causing waves, exacerbating problems for households already flooded.
- Along comes a referee intent on making peace but instead of getting both sides to kiss and make up the peacemaker only exacerbates the situation.
- Part of the problem lies in the fact that we are buying much more powerful stereos and televisions today, but other fashion trends are exacerbating the problem.
- The Dartford Tunnel is a bottleneck and removing the tolls would encourage more people to use it, thereby exacerbating the situation.
- How can the war continue, they ask, if it's exacerbating the problem it was meant to solve?
- That strains that whole relationship, probably exacerbates the situation.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.