In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(specimen, sample)ejemplo masculinean example of her work — una muestra de su trabajo
- he cited the example of Roosevelt — puso a Roosevelt como ejemplo
- he cited the example of penicillin — puso como ejemplo el caso de la penicilina
- Bulgarian history also provided some modern examples of architecture and style.
- If any of you can provide me with examples of this character's cretinhood, I will happily publish them.
- What I love about the best bloggers is how they use specific personal examples to illustrate a point.
- Paramesvara gave several illustrative examples of the method in his commentary on the Aryabhatiya.
- The strap-ends are decorated with animals and are the largest and among the finest examples from the period.
- I'm desperately trying to recall examples to illustrate any of this, and completely failing.
- Its definitions are generally supported by examples of usage taken from the corpus.
- Some illustrative examples will serve to show the behaviour that is required of law schools by this model.
- In spite of his stupidity, or maybe because of it, Goodman is a fine example of a character we love to hate.
- To establish this, Porter probes both the general context and specific examples.
- The scenes and stories of people in Africa provide dramatic examples of extreme poverty.
- Among her examples were bags, picture frames, and wall hangings in a variety of styles and work disciplines.
- As just one of many examples we already provide care for the frail and vulnerable in our society directly into their homes.
- It was intended only as a general example of how language use and acceptability varies.
- Noun gender is an example of a more general phenomenon, that of inflection classes.
- Such detail is characteristic of the fascinating examples and cases explored in this book.
- They provide one of the few examples of true monogamy among the mammals.
- He said that this was an example of a general immunity for acts done in the course of litigation.
- In these two examples, the character becomes a friend and helper to the hero.
- These are only some illustrative examples from myriad stories and they go back several years.
2.1(model)ejemplo masculineto set sb an example — darle (el) ejemplo a algn
- to set an example for or (British also) to sb — darle (el) ejemplo a algn
- to follow sb's example — seguir el ejemplo de algn
- her courage is an example to us all — su valor es un ejemplo para todos nosotros
- If they can't set an example to their child when they're young then will it really know any better?
- Other writers stressed the need for a samurai to set an example to the lower orders of society by his conduct.
- He then took a serious tone and spoke of the need for leading officials to set an example.
- What a shining example of the younger generation and their respect for the elderly.
- Withington said he had to take a stand on the issue to set an example for his boys.
- It uses sporting figures as examples and role models, giving the children someone to relate to.
- He wished more young people would take a leaf out of his book and follow his example.
- He is also trying to set an example to every group of workers fighting against low pay.
- She spoke of her as a very diligent student, a girl who was a good example for all to follow.
- Finally, yes Muslims believe Muhammad is a perfect example for us to try and imitate.
- The winners of the awards will be those who provide excellent examples of good youth work practice.
- The Gospel offers both good and bad examples with regard to how this ought to be done.
- The most key people in setting an example to the next generation are parents and guardians.
- You are your child's best teacher, so set an example through your own behaviour.
- One of the key recommendations was the use of role models to set an example to younger generations.
- She was, and remains, one of the finest examples of making it big on one's own terms.
- We seek to follow the example of Christ who calls us to love our neighbour as ourselves.
- Maggie Stratton saw first hand how her example could be followed in our county.
- The seniors must set an example to the juniors by their conduct on and off the field.
- It feels it should set an example by reducing the numbers of cars in the city.
2.2(warning)let this be an example to the rest of the class — que esto le sirva de escarmiento al resto de la clase
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.