In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(specimen, sample)ejemplo masculinean example of her work — una muestra de su trabajo
- for example — por ejemplo
- he cited the example of Roosevelt — puso a Roosevelt como ejemplo
- he cited the example of penicillin — puso como ejemplo el caso de la penicilina
- He said that this was an example of a general immunity for acts done in the course of litigation.
- It was intended only as a general example of how language use and acceptability varies.
- Paramesvara gave several illustrative examples of the method in his commentary on the Aryabhatiya.
- In spite of his stupidity, or maybe because of it, Goodman is a fine example of a character we love to hate.
- Its definitions are generally supported by examples of usage taken from the corpus.
- As just one of many examples we already provide care for the frail and vulnerable in our society directly into their homes.
- In these two examples, the character becomes a friend and helper to the hero.
- The scenes and stories of people in Africa provide dramatic examples of extreme poverty.
- To establish this, Porter probes both the general context and specific examples.
- Some illustrative examples will serve to show the behaviour that is required of law schools by this model.
- The strap-ends are decorated with animals and are the largest and among the finest examples from the period.
- Noun gender is an example of a more general phenomenon, that of inflection classes.
- They provide one of the few examples of true monogamy among the mammals.
- Bulgarian history also provided some modern examples of architecture and style.
- Among her examples were bags, picture frames, and wall hangings in a variety of styles and work disciplines.
- Such detail is characteristic of the fascinating examples and cases explored in this book.
- If any of you can provide me with examples of this character's cretinhood, I will happily publish them.
- These are only some illustrative examples from myriad stories and they go back several years.
- What I love about the best bloggers is how they use specific personal examples to illustrate a point.
- I'm desperately trying to recall examples to illustrate any of this, and completely failing.
2.1(model)ejemplo masculineto set sb an example — darle (el) ejemplo a algn
- to set an example for / to sb — darle (el) ejemplo a algn
- to follow sb's example — seguir el ejemplo de algn
- her courage is an example to us all — su valor es un ejemplo para todos nosotros
- We seek to follow the example of Christ who calls us to love our neighbour as ourselves.
- The winners of the awards will be those who provide excellent examples of good youth work practice.
- The seniors must set an example to the juniors by their conduct on and off the field.
- He wished more young people would take a leaf out of his book and follow his example.
- It uses sporting figures as examples and role models, giving the children someone to relate to.
- The most key people in setting an example to the next generation are parents and guardians.
- Other writers stressed the need for a samurai to set an example to the lower orders of society by his conduct.
- You are your child's best teacher, so set an example through your own behaviour.
- The Gospel offers both good and bad examples with regard to how this ought to be done.
- She spoke of her as a very diligent student, a girl who was a good example for all to follow.
- It feels it should set an example by reducing the numbers of cars in the city.
- If they can't set an example to their child when they're young then will it really know any better?
- She was, and remains, one of the finest examples of making it big on one's own terms.
- He is also trying to set an example to every group of workers fighting against low pay.
- Maggie Stratton saw first hand how her example could be followed in our county.
- What a shining example of the younger generation and their respect for the elderly.
- One of the key recommendations was the use of role models to set an example to younger generations.
- Withington said he had to take a stand on the issue to set an example for his boys.
- Finally, yes Muslims believe Muhammad is a perfect example for us to try and imitate.
- He then took a serious tone and spoke of the need for leading officials to set an example.
2.2(warning)to make an example of sb — darle un castigo ejemplar a algn
- let this be an example to the rest of the class — que esto le sirva de escarmiento al resto de la clase
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.