In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It will also tell the story of Henry's brother Thomas, who was the longest serving of the Pierrepoint executioners and carried out around 300 hangings in 40 years.
- Most likely it was some tradition from the days long ago when the executioners would personally behead the criminals.
- The military will act as interrogators, prosecutors, defense counsel, judges, and when death sentences are imposed, as executioners.
- He struggled as a man condemned to death struggles in the hands of the executioner, knowing that he cannot save himself.
- There were interviews with executioners who described the process that was unfolding behind the prison walls.
- It had been difficult to find an executioner to carry out the sentence.
- The executioners are armed with rifles carrying bayonets and they stand about two steps away from the condemned.
- There are even interviews with white riot policeman and executioners, but the power of the film belongs to the music, and ‘powerful’ is an understatement.
- The executioner was beheaded outside the pub by Royalists and had his head placed on a pike outside as a warning to other rebels.
- He has repeatedly appealed to his supporters and voters not to offer any resistance and to continue to trust the state, its executioners and its prison wardens.
- As they leave, a white liquid giving off a gas slowly seeps from the left and we discover these men are executioners and this is a death chamber.
- Near them are statues of the three executioners Bao employed to put different ranks of criminals to death.
- Led to the scaffold from a death row cell, he was prepped for the noose by a masked executioner.
- Back in the bad old days, didn't condemned criminals sometimes have to pay the executioner's fee for chopping off their own heads?
- The executioner shook the condemned man's hands, removed the steps and the platform dropped back on its hinges.
- It would neither distress the condemned person, nor the executioner on the other side as he pulled the trigger.
- His sadism increased with age and at 31, in AD 68, he stabbed himself in the throat, narrowly missing his official death: being stripped and flogged by executioners.
- I hate to admit it but I feel almost afraid, as if I'm waiting in a condemned cell for the arrival of an executioner.
- The masked executioner slipped the noose around Shadow's neck and slowly adjusted it to fit.
- But the killing fails to meet the standard of a crime even now, because her executioners believed they were dispatching an enemy agent, and the integrity of that belief cannot be invalidated retrospectively.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.