In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I looked inside and it was an exercise book for all his lessons.
- Make a few notes at the back of your exercise book about what you do now, how you spend your time, what you eat etc.
- But an empty notebook can also be a sketch book, a novel, an exercise book, a dictionary, or an infinite variety of other things, depending entirely on content.
- The teacher gave him an exercise book and asked him to share a copy of the geography textbook with the boy next to him.
- Janie had been trying to take notes from the board while simultaneously trying to follow the conversation that was taking place over her exercise book.
- In March 2005, according to the mother of a young female student, the classmates set up her daughter by slipping her homework exercise book out of her school bag.
- Potter would write out her stories in an exercise book, paste in a few watercolours and a number of pen-and-ink sketches and then present it as a gift to a favoured child.
- In the school I went to, every inch of paper had to be covered in simultaneous equations, poorly conjugated German verbs or pubescent declarations of love before you could even think about asking for a new exercise book.
- Text making the leap from original source to exercise book seemingly constitutes ‘learning’.
- He tore a piece of paper from his exercise book and scribbled some notes on it.
- You wouldn't go to Egypt and learn about the Pyramids from an exercise book.
- The trainer enters their weights, 50 kg and 44 kg respectively, in a well worn exercise book with a picture of Snoopy on the cover.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.