In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(being)existencia femininethis is the only copy still in existence — este es el único ejemplar existente
- how long has the company been in existence? — ¿cuánto tiempo hace que se fundó la compañía?
- to come into existence — nacer
- to go out of existence — desaparecer
- Your brother, Matthew, does not know of your existence at this time.
- He was called away from temporal existence on November 12.
- The orcas in question are already on the endangered list in Canada - and, in fact, there are only 80 in existence.
- He has always written songs with a message and can claim to have been preaching the green gospel long before the Green Party came into existence.
- Selfhood, life and mere existence are meaningless if not suffused with this life-giving force.
- She stares at me like I'm the stupidest human being in existence.
- Despite the fact that the club has only been in existence for a short time, both teams acquitted themselves well.
- It's one of the few publications in existence that is actually eminently more readable on the Net than it is on paper.
- He had found that an atheist is one who denies the existence of God.
- Although 0% credit cards haven't actually been in existence for that long it's hard to remember a time before them!
- Heralded the most valuable natural object in existence, on a weight to weight basis, experts believe that the diamond is the only one of its kind.
- Whatever their limitations - and there are many - the passions are a prerequisite of everyday human existence.
- I was so stunned to know he acknowledged my mere existence.
- I was unaware of its existence at the time I wrote my text.
- In fact, its existence was barely acknowledged.
- What we discovered was truly frightening and made us question our own existence in this strange, strange world.
- Secular humanists are basically atheists who deny the very existence of a personal living God.
- In fact, there's only one other similar document in existence.
- In fact, this arrangement may be the only one in existence anywhere in the United States.
- I want to enjoy my existence on this earth, be happy and make merry.
2(life)vida feminineexistencia femininewhat an existence! — ¡qué vida!
- After living on a commune, he and his wife moved to Burlington, joining so many other back-to-the-landers looking to flee their harried urban existences.
- Enlisting Crumb's help, he writes a series that chronicles his mundane, day-to-day existence.
- Yet they lead a tough existence, working very hard, barely eking out a living under frequently demeaning circumstances.
- An odd sort of surrealness has glazed over the events of the past two weeks as I continue my relatively peaceful existence on my college campus.
- Most of the people live a subsistence existence, obtaining a living from growing rice, goats, poultry or fishing.
- No doubt, the number of survivors eking out a precarious existence must far exceed the death toll.
- In a frequently harsh, small-scale subsistence existence, people were all too aware of nature and her awesome powers.
- In their daily lives Americans, and not only those living in smaller communities, lead an impoverished existence.
- The fact that we would have to eke out a miserable existence as rural farmers has not occurred to them.
- The reward for the risk taken pays rent, feeds children, and supports a subsistence level existence.
- I believe it is to enable us to lead a civilised domestic life where we can conduct a sociable existence while at the same time providing hospitality for our friends and family.
- Muddling along and having panic attacks a year or two before your child has to attend secondary school or university is not conducive to a stress-free existence.
- People living a hand-to-mouth existence are turning to ' buy-back stores' to get their hands on ready money.
- No matter how people try to maintain a normal existence, there is an underlying hysteria waiting to rear its pulsating head.
- However, surviving on minimal water resources could result in farmers having to lead a precarious existence, depending heavily on seasonal rains.
- Such an existence would be indescribably chaotic, no underlying reason or logic behind anything.
- No matter how you tried to live a stress-free existence, always there would be something to get you all riled up.
- This album is entirely a product of living and coping with a city existence.
- Freedom from physical threats and safe living conditions are the foundations of a dignified existence just as much as civic and human rights.
- People here live a hand-to-mouth existence, picking through the trash for something of value.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.