In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- On the other hand, Sartre articulates the fundamental statement of existentialism in this way: life precedes what is of the essence.
- Although he is indeed a co-father of existentialism with Kierkegaard, for some reason he has not generally been acknowledged as such.
- The next three chapters examine the religious existentialism of Kierkegaard, Dostoevsky, and Nietzsche.
- Most of the words spoken seem like an abstract treatise on existentialism and determinism.
- The episode is heavy on action and detective work, light on philosophy and existentialism.
- The non-Christian version of existentialism is attributable to Martin Heidegger and Jean Paul-Sartre.
- He is unable to escape, to articulate, or to textualize his experientially learned nascent existentialism.
- It is full of those little moments of impotency, existentialism and half-baked philosophical epiphanies that happen to us all.
- The argument was directed at the individualist ontology of existentialism in favour of a more communitarian one.
- Sartre's existentialism drew its immediate inspiration from the work of the German philosopher, Martin Heidegger.
- The philosophy of existentialism affected and changed the attitude of the Western community to suicide greatly.
- He read deeply on the subject of existentialism, having long conversations with Jean-Paul Sartre.
- Here, existentialism belied the positivist socio-political attitudes of the official regimes and motivated political opposition.
- Marx may be described as a humanist, and in this century humanism has been given expression, in both secular and religious forms, in the philosophy of existentialism.
- As a philosopher she reacted to existentialism and logical positivism with a deep belief that philosophy should be about freedom and morality and love and God.
- How one might convert the insights of Sartre's existentialism into a guide for action, however, is not at all obvious.
- This time they look not to Judeo-Christian lore, but to Nietzsche and existentialism.
- As much as fascism, Nietzsche foreshadowed modernism, existentialism and postmodernism.
- I remember back in summer, when I was taking my course in existentialism, we discussed the topic of death.
- He published On Humanism, a letter to Beaufret in which he distanced his own philosophy from French existentialism.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.