In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Sartre's existentialism drew its immediate inspiration from the work of the German philosopher, Martin Heidegger.
- This time they look not to Judeo-Christian lore, but to Nietzsche and existentialism.
- He published On Humanism, a letter to Beaufret in which he distanced his own philosophy from French existentialism.
- Marx may be described as a humanist, and in this century humanism has been given expression, in both secular and religious forms, in the philosophy of existentialism.
- The philosophy of existentialism affected and changed the attitude of the Western community to suicide greatly.
- Most of the words spoken seem like an abstract treatise on existentialism and determinism.
- Here, existentialism belied the positivist socio-political attitudes of the official regimes and motivated political opposition.
- He read deeply on the subject of existentialism, having long conversations with Jean-Paul Sartre.
- Although he is indeed a co-father of existentialism with Kierkegaard, for some reason he has not generally been acknowledged as such.
- The episode is heavy on action and detective work, light on philosophy and existentialism.
- He is unable to escape, to articulate, or to textualize his experientially learned nascent existentialism.
- As a philosopher she reacted to existentialism and logical positivism with a deep belief that philosophy should be about freedom and morality and love and God.
- The next three chapters examine the religious existentialism of Kierkegaard, Dostoevsky, and Nietzsche.
- The non-Christian version of existentialism is attributable to Martin Heidegger and Jean Paul-Sartre.
- How one might convert the insights of Sartre's existentialism into a guide for action, however, is not at all obvious.
- It is full of those little moments of impotency, existentialism and half-baked philosophical epiphanies that happen to us all.
- On the other hand, Sartre articulates the fundamental statement of existentialism in this way: life precedes what is of the essence.
- I remember back in summer, when I was taking my course in existentialism, we discussed the topic of death.
- As much as fascism, Nietzsche foreshadowed modernism, existentialism and postmodernism.
- The argument was directed at the individualist ontology of existentialism in favour of a more communitarian one.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.