- Cystic fibrosis, a chronic genetic disorder that affects the exocrine glands, results in the production of excessive, thick mucus that obstructs the gastrointestinal tract and the lungs.
- The ovaries perform both an exocrine function by producing ova and an endocrine function by producing estrogen and progesterone.
- There are 4-5 million exocrine glands in the body and approximately one-third of them are in the palms.
- Pancreatic juice, an exocrine secretion, is vital for digestion.
- In a separate but related system, exocrine tissues secrete their products into ducts and then to the outside of the body or to the intestinal tract.