In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The big moment arrived, as Santa was heralded into the room and conducted a sing-along with all the expectant wide-eyed crowd.
- The expectant crowd was confused - was this really the new world champion they had so excitedly looked forward to seeing?
- Just don't tell him he's going out to face the world champions in front of an expectant home crowd in half an hour.
- At midnight the doors were opened to the expectant crowd.
- When expectant faces all along the table turned towards him, he sighed and raised a hand to his temple.
- If I was a best selling author about to pass such tripe off on my breathlessly expectant readers, I'd have been right there with her.
- After the lunch interval the West Indies began their reply backed by an expectant crowd.
- The priests and the policemen stopped before the crowd of expectant men and surveyed them, as they did every morning.
- A cheap sound system pumped out drum and bass as a sparse yet expectant crowd gathered.
- The silence was reverent, expectant, verging on anxious.
- When our star takes the stage, he's greeted by an expectant hush.
- Josh finished, and then they were all looking at me, expectant and excited.
- Knowing he was about to appear, an expectant hush fell over the huge crowd around the green.
- The same holds true onstage, where she entertained large crowds of expectant fans during a month-long, consistently sold-out U.S. tour.
- There was an expectant buzz from the crowd whenever he was in possession and he was desperately close to scoring earlier, with what would have been a magnificent goal midway through the first half.
- The traditional objection was made that it might be snowing heavily on Christmas Eve and early closing would ensure that staff could safely travel home to their excited and expectant children.
- The party was in full swing as they arrived, but there was a faint, expectant feeling among the guests as the royal party had not yet arrived.
- Mr Williams thanked everybody for their participation, before he announced the winners of the £25 prizes to the expectant crowd.
- Sunday saw an expectant and knowledgeable crowd turn up for what was some of the best bowling seen for a long time.
- There are nights when you can feel the va va voom in a theatre, busy with the buzz of expectant chatter and excited faces of all ages.
2(expecting a baby)expectant mother — futura mamá feminine
- expectant parents / couple — futuros padres
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.