- Static lung compliance was measured by an interrupter technique during a relaxed expiration from total lung capacity.
- Ranging from full inspiration to full expiration, lung densities more than double.
- Examiners compared observed systolic pressure between inspiration and expiration, and subtracted the two values.
- It is generally held that during breathing at rest expiration is a mainly ‘passive’ process, although some activity in expiratory muscles may maintain the outflow of air.
- When listening to normal respiration, inspiration composes approximately one-third of the respiratory cycle and expiration the remaining two-thirds.