1(make understandable)explicarto explain sth to sb — explicarle algo a algn
- she explained it to me — me lo explicó
- she explained to us how it had happened/why she had done it — nos explicó cómo había pasado/por qué lo había hecho
- It explains in detail why he came to Scotland and how the factory was born.
- My wife will then have to explain the situation to another helpful city employee.
- As the feature on this page explains, this idea is a runner, if not an odds-on certainty.
- Her mother has written to him explaining the situation but has not heard back.
- All the agencies have Chinese signs explaining the concept of the minimum wage law.
- Mr Blake said he was handing out 3,000 manifesto leaflets explaining his policies.
- After explaining his legal position, we asked her the reason for detention.
- Helpfully, a letter turned up this morning explaining the entire process to me.
- He liked to do mathematics on his feet, often prancing while he explained his thoughts.
- Also, I find explaining and describing things helps get my thoughts in order.
- She explained she had no idea how the tree got into her brother's garden.
- They are to send a joint letter to all schools and colleges this week explaining the situation.
- Call the company, explain the situation and give an estimate of the time you will arrive.
- I explained this idea to the people I met this week, and most said they would be keen.
- In fact, explains Greene, the best way to seduce someone is to fall in love with them.
- We have not been explaining the facts to teachers, our customers and the customers of the future.
- I kind of lost my taste for the science fiction show when they started explaining everything.
- This goes some way to explaining the idea that works of art have to do with truth.
- Pete goes on to explain in detail exactly how to achieve all this for consistent accuracy.
- One might expect that Marx would go on to explain in some detail what communism would be like.
2(account for)(disappearance/absence/actions) explicarhow do you explain the fact that … ? — ¿cómo explica el hecho de que … ?
- that explains everything! — eso lo explica / aclara todo
- I explained that I'd been delayed — les expliqué que me había retrasado
- What explains this astonishing mobilisation of voter emotion, particularly in affluent white suburbs?
- He had studied at Oxford and was a Rhodes Scholar, which explained why he spoke such beautiful English.
- Quite why it took so long for the village to mark this achievement isn't explained on the plaque.
- A real comparison on an equal level would go a long way in explaining this crisis.
- Thirdly, he submitted that Mr Perry invited the jury to reason that Robert Kerr's psychiatric condition explained his alleged conduct.
- The advent of this seemingly blessed type can partly be explained by the modern economy.
- His mother's heritage more than explained his strength and agility.
- It involves setting up a website describing yourself and explaining why you need money.
- He was also English, which explained his sometimes weird language, my favourite word being "gads".
- Thus it does not seem possible to explain the price increase in terms of demand factors.
- I was writing a note to Pip's Mum to explain about our disappearance and put it on her desk.
- In our family, we have always sat down and talked and tried to explain why you need to vote.
- His preoccupation with solitude also explains why Tsai's films are often very nearly free of dialogue.
- The bus was on time and its route correct, so how do we explain this unnecessary event?
- His curious logic in explaining his reasons for this is beyond my wit I am afraid.
- What explains this curious death of an idea once favoured by the men at the top of their two parties?
- He should be explaining his reasons for his decision in the House of Assembly today.
- So to explain these events it is necessary to examine the entire geological record.
- Cole grinned and went on to explain about the different types of magic users that there were.
- Another reason to explain the popularity of the leather look is its affordability.
- If only he had been injured it might have explained his appalling performance.
- One of the reasons I am drawn towards this theory is because it explains many of the injustices of life.
- Here supporters of the Socialist Party have to be honest in explaining the recent defeat.
- Already Labour is explaining the defeat as purely a consequence of the low turn-out.
- In his autobiography, he explains in detail why it did not become a worldwide business.
- Their adventurous and inquisitive nature explains their fascination with the ancient beauty and splendor of Egypt.
- In an exclusive interview with company chairman, he explains his reasons for the switch.
- This explains their preference for politicians who want to cut taxes (even though this means fewer public services).
- Abe also admitted that many professional players complained about the course's difficulty which explained why there were no golfers managing to score under par.
1explicarseplease explain yourself more clearly — por favor explíquese más claramente
- you're late, explain yourself! — explique por qué llega tarde
1will you explain? — ¿me lo explicas?
- if you'd just let me explain — al menos déjame que te explique
- he's got some explaining to do — nos debe una explicación