In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1explicación femininethe explanation of the mystery — la explicación / aclaración del misterio
- by way of explanation — como explicación / aclaración
- I demand an explanation — exijo que se me dé una explicación
- what have you to say in explanation of your conduct? — ¿qué nos puede decir para explicar / justificar su comportamiento?
- explanation for sth
- she offered no explanation for her absence — no dio explicaciones por su ausencia
- there must be an explanation for this — esto tiene que tener una explicación
- We should not try to seek a simple explanation for the failure to achieve numerical equity because none exists.
- Nonetheless I do not accept the appellant's explanation concerning his passport.
- There might be all sorts of rational and reasonable explanations as to how the sample got to the scene.
- Well I think it's the natural impulse of scientists to seek the simplest, easiest explanation for a phenomenon.
- The various excuses and explanations he has given are transparently false and dishonest.
- Generally they were able to provide alternative naturalistic explanations for what had seemed totally mysterious.
- Firstly, the authors' explanations for these serious irregularities were inadequate.
- Only by understanding motivation could historians hope to offer adequate causal explanations.
- He proposed a simple explanation for the inconsistency between lab observations and what was actually occurring in the field.
- I suspect that there's no one reason and that the explanation varies from person to person.
- I cannot see at the moment any satisfactory explanation for the six-month delay.
- People are just finding reasons and other explanations for the market downturn.
- Thus, no one perspective alone provides adequate explanation for the phenomenon of loan default.
- A likely explanation for this difference in light sensitivity is a difference in chlorophyll accumulation.
- The appellant's explanation to police was ‘I was chasing goats’.
- There are three explanations as to why dog owners are reluctant to clear up their dogs' faeces.
- Now, the university assures that there is a rational explanation for the cases.
- There are no excuses or reasonable explanations for the way that this information was managed initially.
- Thanks to Rhett in the comments section for offering a plausible explanation for the discrepancy in prices.
- People keep trying to find rational explanations for their behavior.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.