In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Adams couldn't find his exposure meter in his hurry to make the shot before the sun set behind him.
- If the window is smaller or farther away, switch to a spot-metering exposure mode in which the camera's exposure meter reads only a tiny area in the center of the frame.
- You see, the exposure meter built in to your camera is trying to ‘average out’ the light levels that are coming through the lens.
- If built-in exposure meters are as omniscient and sophisticated as camera manufacturers claim, why do people still get poorly exposed pictures?
- Photocells are also useful as exposure meters for cameras in which case the current in the tube would be measured directly on a sensitive meter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.