In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Paintings of Maitreya are virtually nonexistent, but statues of him are still extant.
- Given that I have no extant close family, I get off relatively lightly I know.
- Fossil salamanders are known from most extant families, as well as four extinct families.
- First, Wood reviews the extant literature in order to present a short biography.
- It contains some 60 percent of Hyde's extant poems, dozens of which have not been seen before.
- With an abundance of remains there are ample extant buildings and artefacts in situ.
- Manuscripts in Greek and manuscripts of translations from the Greek into Latin, Syriac, and Coptic are extant.
- Another ambition was to categorise the meagre extant material held in archives.
- As the world's only extant empire of law and justice, we also have the right and responsibility to do it.
- True, it's not as if there isn't already a massive body of work extant on the subject.
- No planning permission granted has ever been implemented and none remains extant.
- The oldest extant example of a local Egyptian map is the Turin papyrus which dates from around 1300 BC.
- Pieter Bruegel the Elder is known far and wide for his thirty-five or so extant paintings.
- The document is an extant work of that most postmodernist of enterprises, the law.
- This group is represented by a single extant species which is thought to be the sister taxon to all other frogs.
- High Street and Old Market Street are among the oldest streets extant in the town.
- The final extant edition ends four weeks before her death in 1895.
- Grieg was a pianist rather than violinist and his only extant string quartet came at a time of a rumoured affair between his wife and older brother.
- In comparative studies using model organisms, extant taxa are often referred to as basal.
- Most of the silicified microbes, however, lack the key features that would allow accurate comparisons with extant taxa.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.