In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(size, area)extensión feminineit's 200km2 in extent — es de 200km2 de extensión
- to its fullest extent — en toda su extensión
- By all means, send me a city map that covers the full extent of the subway.
- Little survives of this very large area, although its extent has been established by excavation.
- The precise extent of unsown area can only be assessed after the end of this month, he said.
- Another looks to the extent of the property covered by the security.
- Some of these are pictured and show the extent of flooding anticipated as dark blue and light blue areas.
- The universe is infinite, both in the number of atoms and in the extent of space.
- Looking at the plan, there can be no doubt whatsoever as to the extent of area A1.
2.1(range, degree)feminine amplitudfeminine vastedadmasculine alcancethe extent of the damage — la importancia / el alcance de los daños
- I then realized the full extent of his involvement — entonces me di cuenta de hasta qué punto estaba involucrado
- Thick smoke was seen rising from the area, but the extent of the damage was not immediately clear.
- The extent of the market surprised Mr Williams when he first started up.
- Is this a case of builders and developers demonstrating the extent of their imaginations?
- When the country was in the grip of a deadly bird flu last year, his government admitted it tried to cover up the extent of the problem.
- The committee visited the area to evaluate the extent of damage caused by the flooding.
- They claim the Government is covering up the true extent of the disease outbreak.
- Webster pretty much covers the extent of my knowledge of this principle.
- In some cases, however, images do survive as engravings or copies and a picture emerges of the extent of our loss.
- It will show the extent of people's anger about these monstrous turbines.
- This is the awesome extent of their responsibility for mass violence leading to mass death.
- A teenager beaten up and left for dead by a gang wants people to know the extent of his injuries.
- It's pointless asking a man of O'Callaghan's scale the extent of his wealth.
- There were different views as to the extent and scope of the sovereign power.
- A measurement of intelligence quotient does not determine the extent of learning difficulties.
- There could also be differences in the extent of cover if motoring abroad, she said.
- This is important for determining if patients with the disease differ and to quantify the extent of infection.
- However as the full details of the agreement are not being made public the extent of the deal may never be known.
- Yesterday council bosses went on site to survey the extent of the damage, which is understood only to be minimal.
- This is especially so with regard to the geographical extent of globalization.
- Anecdotal accounts, however, give a picture of the extent of the killing and maiming.
2.2to some extent — hasta cierto punto
- to a certain extent — (to some extent) hasta cierto punto
- to a large extent — en gran parte
- to a greater/lesser extent — en mayor/menor medida
- it irritated me to such an extent that I left — me molestó hasta tal punto que me fui
- to the extent of
- it hurt to the extent of making me cry — me dolió tanto / hasta tal punto que me eché a llorar
- I can't go to the extent of actually firing her — no puedo llegar al extremo de despedirla
- to that extent — hasta ese punto
- to what extent — hasta qué punto
- I don't know to what extent he's involved — no sé en qué medida / hasta qué punto está involucrado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.