In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1globo ocular masculineto meet eyeball to eyeball with sb — enfrentarse cara a cara con algn
- to be up to one's eyeballs in sth — estar hasta aquí de algo
- I'm up to my eyeballs in work — estoy agobiada / hasta aquí de trabajo
- before noun an eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation — un cara a cara
- Exophthalmos is caused by an increase in the bulk of the tissue behind the orbit (eye socket) that forces the eyeball forward.
- His face motionless, Altobelli reached up and uncorked his left eyeball from its socket, placing it on the table.
- A small incision is made in the side of your eyeball to allow for removal of your cornea's inner layer without hurting the outer layers.
- Skin is slowly shed or rubbed away and replaced, but the lens is confined within the fixed volume of the eyeball.
- Instead it was a mixture of lips, eyelids, eyeballs, nostrils, udders, spare skin, throat, larynx and so forth.
- The surgeon uses a wire speculum to retract the eyelids to expose the eyeball.
- Four muscles pull each eyeball straight back into the eye socket, shortening the eyeball.
- Glaucoma, which often leads to partial or total blindness, is caused by an increase of fluid pressure within the eyeball.
- The eyeball is moved to the side and the optic nerve sheath is exposed.
- More anteriorly, the optic nerve is surrounded only by the smooth meningeal or inner layer of the dura, which blends with the sclera of the eyeball.
- The tumor in boy's left eye had displaced his eyeball from its socket and caused the boy to constantly tilt his head due to the weight of the tumor.
- With myopia, the cornea is too curved or the eyeball too long.
- In some reported instances, it forms a muscular funnel around the optic nerve and is inserted onto the back of the eyeball.
- This means that the lower eyelid has fallen away from the eyeball so that the tiny hole into which the tears drain is no longer in the tear pool.
- The eyeball sits in the eye socket (also called the orbit) in a person's skull, where it is surrounded by bone.
- Secondly, the lower eyelid has rounded and come away from the eyeball.
- The retina lines the inner face of the back of the eyeball and contains light-sensitive cells that transmit images to the brain.
- The lights began fading slowly until all that lit the darkness were bright red rings within bloodshot eyeballs.
- It can be due to either a too flat cornea or the eyeball being too short.
- The orbit is a socket for the eyeball, muscles, nerves, and vessels that are necessary for proper functioning of the eye.
1mirar de arriba a abajo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.