In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pestaña femininea pair of false eyelashes — unas pestañas postizas
- A few teardrops clung to her eyelashes and her hair had fallen into her face and stuck to her cheeks.
- Her eyelashes gracefully curved over her eyes and they were even longer than his.
- There is no evidence of any talent - her performance is a collection of blank looks and batted eyelashes.
- He almost lost his eyesight as a result of this illness and he did lose his eyelashes which never grew in again.
- Slowly she raised a thin hand to her face and swiped at the rain that clung to her hair and eyelashes.
- In ancient Egypt, Priests plucked every hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.
- Everything about her is long - from her legs to her eyelashes to the dark hair that cascades over her shoulders.
- Dew had settled on her hair and eyelashes by the time she found a good place to practice.
- A few strands of hair caught on his eyelash and he flicked his head quickly to get them out of the way.
- Her eyelashes are almost as light as her hair, and I can see a sprinkling of tiny freckles on her nose and cheeks.
- All of her major organs were formed but she had no eyelashes, eyebrows or cartilage in her ears.
- Before curling your eyelashes, heat the curler with a hair dryer for a few seconds.
- They sing beautifully, play their own instruments and have deep brown eyes and long eyelashes.
- When you lose your eyelashes, you look very weird.
- His eyelashes fluttered, and his eyes opened.
- She was a spinning dynamo of sequins, hair and eyelashes.
- Cosmetic eye surgery may also improve your sight if saggy skin in the upper lids hangs over the eyelashes to obstruct vision.
- An eyelash takes six weeks to grow back.
- When I lit my cigarette, I also managed to burn my eyelashes and set fire to my hair.
- His skin was as pale as ever, and dew was shining in his hair and on his eyelashes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.