In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The oil layer is secreted by 16 to 20 glands in the eyelids called the meibomian glands.
- You may develop loose folds of skin on the upper eyelids and deep creases on the lower lids.
- Ten days later he noticed drooping of his left eyelid and double vision.
- Without batting an eyelid he pulled out a chest radiograph from behind his seat and asked us to look at it.
- She gave a friendly smile but her eyelids were lowered which was a sign of hostility.
- Then, the superior portion of the excision is always in the thin skin of the eyelid.
- If a growth on the eyelid does not go away after several weeks, a doctor may need to treat it or remove it.
- Because when you sleep, your eye breathes from the eyelid, it gets its oxygen from the eyelid.
- In some cases, hanging skin over the upper eyelid can be removed to restore peripheral vision.
- He had previously undergone insertion of a gold weight into the left upper eyelid.
- You don't want to pull the cheek up, take skin out of the lower eyelid and then find out it doesn't hold.
- There are a number of procedures used to restore the function of the upper eyelid but the lower eyelid is often ignored.
- Thinking this was caused by excess skin in her right upper eyelid, her doctor referred her to the eye services routinely.
- You float there feeling the hot sun on your body, the blue sky filtering through your closed eyelids.
- My tears sting my eyelids, the torn skin with the laces rubbing my eyes raw on the inside.
- Eyeballs can blister and eyelids seal up, and life expectancy can be significantly reduced.
- His head began to throb painfully and he felt the eyelid under the laceration lower in reaction.
- Call the doctor at once if the eyelid and area around the eye is swollen, red, or tender.
- A sad look crept onto his face, and a black eyelid slid down to cover his one eye.
- Plastic eyeshields, used over a taped eyelid, are a less hazardous alternative for people who smoke.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.