In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de faccionesentre facciones
- In so doing they too have contributed to the sense in which the intellectual sphere is too fragmented and divided along factional lines for any general dialogue to be possible.
- The leadership is currently embroiled in a factional dispute so bitter that the contending groups can barely meet in the same room.
- Only recently have we seen the emergence of female factional leaders.
- The controversial proposal appears to have emphasised a factional divide within the City Council.
- Three new national vice-presidencies were simply added to make room for factional leaders who faced being squeezed out of the party's governing body.
- Above the clamour of heated factional struggle one thing is clear: not one of these factions has any progressive perspective to offer.
- The interview, as his factional backers intended, fanned a frenzy of media speculation, leaks and destabilisation.
- Interviews among factional leaders might easily end in stormy scenes, full of tirades and tantrums.
- When d' Aiguillon's trial began in March 1770, therefore, both the Court and the ministry were riven by personal and factional feuds.
- While the exact composition of the cabinet will be determined by factional dealings now underway, it is clear that it will govern over a country on the brink of collapse.
- The framers considered organizing a factional interest to be both a valued right and a potentially dangerous activity.
- After meeting with various factional leaders, he claimed that he had made proposals to overcome the stalemate.
- I regularly hear people both inside and outside the party complain about the power and excesses of factional chieftains.
- Negotiations over a new constitution have brought factional wrangling and there is widespread talk of the country sliding into civil war.
- Far more threatening to the dominant factions, however, is the prospect that younger parliamentarians will ignore their factional leaders.
- Unable to win the leadership through the factional system, he made an unprecedented break with party tradition.
- Whatever the factional differences between the delegates, it is highly likely that a majority will approve the draft constitution with minor amendments.
- Their overriding concern has been the preservation of their own interests, against those of their factional rivals.
- But everyone knew that the differences hinged entirely on entrenched factional interests.
- In any event, even grass-roots support in the party tends to be generated and organised along factional more than local lines.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.