In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(trend) moda pasajera feminine(personal) manía feminine(personal) maña feminine Latin America
- "It's a sort of fad of his to eat nothing but fish, and he's very proud of catching his own."
- But by definition, all fads fade, and even Calvin acknowledges that scooter mania has probably already peaked.
- Because of that, they captured trends and fads that were happening at the moment more accurately than movies that took a year to make.
- To me, fashion is what looks good, not the latest craze or fad.
- They must invest in style and model change in order to maintain market share in industries where fashions and fads quickly come and go.
- This is to say, unlike the products of the popular culture, social norms do not bend easily to transient tastes or the latest fads.
- A fad is a short lived mania, of no apparent rationale that in retrospect looks pretty silly.
- Unlike more transitory fads and fashions, however, financial manias and panics have real and lasting economic consequences.
- The digital age probably has produced more fads in its short life than any other human endeavor in a comparable time span.
- The family-owned auction firm has built its success on the excesses associated with economic fads and stock-market bubbles.
- This is the latest diet fad to play on many people's insecurity about their bodies.
- I tend to sit in my own corner and do what I enjoy doing without too much concern with the latest fad, style or trend.
- And what happened to the fashion fad for biodegradable packaging?
- Other big sellers included micro scooters, the fad which swept through the country in 2000 and a favourite with young and old alike.
- Hula hoops and pet rocks were fads; personal computers and cellular telephones are trends that are changing the way people live.
- It is really quite wonderful, and I truly hope it is the beginning of a trend, not a short-lived fad.
- I think there are fads and fashions in television as in other modes of life, so it is quite possible that this particular type of reality television will fade away, to be replaced by something not so dissimilar.
- John Updike, John Irving and the redoubtable Mailer believed the white-suited novelist had become overly concerned with the passing fads of the social scene.
- Where do these seemingly arbitrary fads come from?
- And it really offends me when people assume my choice is made out of a fad or lack of research.
- What started off as a fad among stamp enthusiasts has now grown into a veritable cult.
- He will be looking at fitness as a career, fitness assessment and the psychology of exercise, to encourage people to have realistic fitness goals instead of fads and quick fixes.
- Following on from the recent blog fad, I will share with you the last 10 songs I played on my i-Pod.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.