In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1electroconvector masculineventiloconvector masculine
- Julie said: ‘When I found out that mum and dad had been left there with just a fan heater to keep them warm in the middle of January, I phoned the emergency number at the housing department straight away.’
- By the time we got back to our cars, we were all drenched from head to toe and ready to get in a nice in front of the fan heater.
- The lighting failed today as a result of us bringing too many fan heaters into the school to keep it warm.
- She added customers were now buying fan heaters if they had a cold setting.
- And so we stood, cold to the bone, miserable and huddled in turn around a small fan heater.
- Visit your local garden centre and enquire about a small thermostatically controlled greenhouse fan heater.
- There's also a 2KW fan heater to help boost the air temperature.
- I retire inside, to the warmth of a roaring fan heater.
- That was the year I had to run out and buy eight fan heaters to stop people fainting in our office.
- My flatmates and I attempted to create a celebratory atmosphere by plugging in a solitary fan heater and chipping ice off the insides of the windows.
- Friends have brought us round electric fan heaters, which will make my bills sky high.
- Mr Gerrard said he and his wife arrived at the hospital after midnight to find the waiting room heated by a single fan heater situated over the door.
- I dread to think what our electricity bill for the last week will be, as we've been heating the house with electric fan heaters…
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.