In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The four corners of the facades are accented with tall wooden pilasters, and the two identical front doors with semicircular fanlights are framed by pilasters supporting molded cornices.
- The front door has a fanlight while the hall has an ornate centre rose and coving.
- Manda could see a semicircular fanlight over the front door as the Michael steered the jeep toward the front of wrought iron gate.
- A flight of granite steps leads to a front door with a fanlight.
- The principal doorways of both buildings are framed by pilasters and display graceful semicircular fanlights crowned with open pediments.
2(small, top window)tragaluz masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.