In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(unreality)fantasía femininebefore noun fantasy football/baseball — fútbol m/béisbol virtual masculine
- he lives in a fantasy world — vive en las nubes
- I don't particularly care what subject it is, it could be romance, horror, adventure, fantasy etc.
- Still, his books are always packaged either as science fiction or as fantasy, which would seem to imply there's a meaningful distinction between the two.
- But I think my favorite genre is fantasy, with historical fiction at a close second.
- The Matrix, along with much fantasy and science fiction, is part of the undercurrents of our times which are rapidly coming to the surface.
- He is also a difficult writer to define, ranging from fantasy to science fiction and essays.
- I find there are too many negative connotations to genre writing, especially to the ever-so-popular science fiction / fantasy.
- He has sold short stories in a range of genres, including romantic comedy, science fiction, fantasy, and horror.
- From hard-edge science fiction to high-flown fantasy, comic books to film noir, high culture to sub-culture… we sink our teeth into it all!
- The immortal, crucified and resurrected fecundity of God pours into and out of every honest work of fantasy and science fiction.
- The idea that empire is a Bad Thing suffuses almost all our imaginative worlds too: in the literature of science fiction and fantasy, in popular cinema, in video and computer games.
- His articles on mythology, folklore, fantasy, and science fiction have appeared in a variety of anthologies and journals.
- As they do for many adolescents and adults, fantasy and science fiction gave me fables that were spiritual and fables that explored the desire to be spiritual.
- Where did it all start… if I were to pin point any particular instance, it was my fascination with dragons and the genre of science fiction / fantasy.
- It's a funny thing, but despite the fact that science fiction and fantasy are my genre fiction of choice, I never liked Lord of the Rings.
- This is also one reason why I remain so steadfastly resolute about concentrating on fantasy, science fiction and horror film.
- I'm not talking about the drama, musical, comedy, or the Western genres, but horror movies, science fiction, fantasy and thrillers.
- And yet why is it that African Americans are so little a part of genre science fiction and fantasy today?
- That is why there is such a rich future for people of color in science fiction and fantasy, because the genre allows us to speculate on our future whether utopian or dystopian.
- Just by way of background: Locus concentrates on science fiction, fantasy and horror, and its web site always includes a generous amount of free info and lots of links to more of the same.
- Of course some popular genre fiction - fantasy, science fiction, crime - can be of a high calibre as well.
- Imagine the most outrageous fantasy came true and she confessed her love and you two were married.
- The stiller and quieter you are, the more they read into you all the fantasies they wish.
- When we do that, we give ourselves the opportunity to reflect on the fantasies and anxieties that permeate our everyday lives.
- While the setting evoked an escapist fantasy, the conversation dwelt obsessively on the harsh, inescapable realities of the moment.
- It's one of those unstoppable childhood fantasies, like wishing you could fly, become invisible or eat candy for dinner.
- It reflects real fantasies, not political needs.
- But I don't think that the latest set of paranoid fantasies reflect particularly well on him.
- Was she so crushed by exile and loss that her plays are wish fulfillment fantasies of revenge and triumph?
- There is a level at which these films are patriarchal wish - fulfilment fantasies, in which our troubles are resolved by a trustworthy father - figure.
- This image displayed a fantasy of a superior warrior caste, responsive to the demands of theater.
- From Oprah to Jamie Oliver, in a culture dominated by images of fantasies and impossible ideals, we too frequently think that we should live like the people on TV.
- It is well designed, and provides a forum for the expression of experiences, fantasies, mental states and the like related to sex.
- All day though, she had secretly entertained the idea and conjured up fanciful fantasies about her becoming a stage actress.
- Irigaray reads Freud very closely, not in order to better master his teachings, but rather to uncover his own unconscious fantasies and fears of the other sex.
- They reveal unconscious motivating fantasies and wishes about one's identity.
- Everything else in his mind drowned itself in images and fantasies of the creature before him.
- This is the dark mirror image of Roberts' fantasies about domestic bliss with Sue.
- Sometimes it is contained in images and unlikely fantasies and sometimes it is contained in behaviour that we recognize as being stupid but unexplained.
- All such pulls, many of them unconscious, are deployed to disrupt the proper aim of the work that is, for the patient to come to acknowledge and own his own unconscious wishes and fantasies.
- Instead, he explores his own dreams and fantasies in these often-unsettling images.
2Literatureliteratura fantástica feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.