In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was the far-seeing pioneer who introduced cattle ranching and wheat farming to the American West.
- The softspoken but far-seeing boss, like his company, has won every conceivable Best Boss / Entrepreneur / Businessman in Asia award.
- It is possible that they have been far-seeing rather than retarded.
- If that ruler is truly virtuous, wise and far-seeing, then that nation is truly a happy land.
- Even if he is inside the set-up, his far-seeing ideas have about as much chance of advance as those you read here.
- He has something else in mind: ‘No one ever discusses the public, except to say how brilliant, wise, and far-seeing they are,’ he says.
- The more far-seeing of the thousand or more chief executives here know it.
- For example, do we take it for granted that those in power are far more intelligent and far-seeing than we are?
- Among his contemporaries he was the most balanced, moderate yet far-seeing.
- Noel provided this organisation with far-seeing leadership at a critical time in its development and growth.
- Here again Brown's programs to support collaborative student-faculty research turned out to be far-seeing in a manner the founders of our curriculum could not have predicted.
- I do not go all the way with the predictions of the far-seeing prophets of the information superhighway, nor would I wish to hype the value of the Net.
- It took wise and far-seeing leaders to discern that major events were in the offing, requiring novel thinking.
- It's precisely because his advice is so good, lucid and far-seeing that it worries me that it is largely ignored.
- ‘I'm not so far-seeing as you both,’ Jasper shrugged his shoulders.
- For the first century of the Republic's life, this picture of great figures, intellectual and pragmatic, principled and far-seeing, dominated explanations of the Constitution.
- It assumes that violence is a protest's natural state, that all protests and protestors, if not reigned in by their more strategic and far-seeing comrades, will resort to violence.
- They must have been clear-thinking and far-seeing innovators to get so much right on the first try.
- The American people aren't far-seeing enough to accept that yet, but I am.
- Some far-seeing scholars anticipated the changes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.