In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1despedida feminine(letter/speech/party) de despedidato make one's farewells — despedirse
- to say farewell to sb/sth — decirle adiós a algn/algo
- to bid sb a sad/fond farewell — despedirse de algn con tristeza/cariño
- His well wishes triggered a round of farewell remarks from other pod members.
- The cabbie whistled at the smaller amount and waved farewell to the woman.
- They expressed their gratitude to the Glenhest Community and friends who had organised the farewell party.
- If anybody sees her, she can bid her popularity a bittersweet farewell.
- Bidding farewell, I unfurled the umbrella, and walked out into the rain.
- Rumours have abounded that he has already held a farewell drinks party for his staff.
- Without saying a word, the couple bade a fond farewell to their deceased friends and family.
- Kilmaine parish bade a fond farewell to its most senior resident in recent weeks.
- Vincent nodded a farewell as she left, and he instinctively locked the door behind her.
- For many, saying farewell to those left behind on land is the hardest part.
- All of his last day was given over to a farewell party with a buffet lunch, presentations and speeches.
- Before disbanding, the decision was made to play a handful of farewell concerts.
- The whole family was at the pier to bid us fond farewell, making us promise that we would come to visit them again.
- His teaching colleagues and students have arranged a special farewell party for him this Friday.
- We exchanged farewells and soon Ethan and I were on the road again.
- But after struggling to recruit new members, they have decided to disband, and performed for the last time at a farewell party on Tuesday.
- And before I go, I will hand the two of you a farewell gift.
- I won't do a farewell tour, I won't be a part of that.
- I hailed a cab and waved a farewell to Benny as I got in.
- In mutual respect they exchanged farewells and went their separate ways, lost deep in their thoughts.
- At a funeral home in Chengdu, a farewell ceremony is being held.
- In Chapter 4, the derivation of George Washington's farewell address is traced.
- Sakura gave her thanks and the both of them exchanged their farewells and separated into their classes.
- Littleborough bade a sad farewell to one of its own on Thursday.
- Of course, this is no fond farewell as Lynn strolls off into the sunset.
- No, giving up drinking was my way of saying farewell to my youth.
- The man waved farewell to them as the vehicle took off to the palace.
- Of course, that's the anniversary of Lou Gehrig's famous farewell speech.
- She was going to give a farewell concert but she no longer played solo.
- Parents and staff have said a tearful farewell to a children's nursery that has closed after 25 years.
- The Queen said a tearful farewell to her younger sister, who was cremated.
- All items are for sale and would make fantastic wedding or farewell gifts.
- Then why did so many military officials accompany the general on his farewell tour?
- In his televised farewell speech, he said he was proudest of two accomplishments.
- Tonight I also went to have another farewell dinner with two of my friends.
- She hosts a grand farewell dinner party before she moves out, which is a great success.
- You'd think it would be like saying farewell to an old friend.
- One idea is to launch a farewell party, like we do for adults when they leave.
- She bade a final farewell to Giovanni, but he simply smiled.
- He also gave one of the most moving farewell speeches I'd ever heard.
1vaya con Dios datedadiós
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.