In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fascistafacho masculine Latin America derogatory informalfacha feminine Latin America derogatory informalfacha Spain derogatory informal
- I assumed it was to stop a fascist, racist dictator from forcing his views on the people of Britain.
- British trade unions have a proud history of opposing British Nazis, fascists and racists.
- The people who put forward that argument were fascists and neo-Nazis.
- The establishment of fascist dictatorships is not a historical inevitability.
- At the same time I was doing a lot of casework around racist and fascist attacks.
1fascistafacho Latin America derogatory informalfacha Spain derogatory informal
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.