In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1informalto fast-talk sb ( into / out of sth)
- she fast-talked him into buying it — lo engatusó / lo embaucó para que lo comprara
- he fast-talked her out of her savings — la engatusó / la embaucó y le sacó los ahorros
- I guess some people would find it amusing to watch him fast-talk his way through situations, but these scenes just didn't stir my coffee.
- Most war-related scams are promoted by fast-talking telemarketers or over the Internet, he says.
- Once again, they have fast-talked their way out of sentencing; the Court has no choice but to find them not guilty.
- Visions of rude, fast-talking, brash Yankees flashed briefly through my adolescent mind from tales overheard from relatives.
- Joseph meets fast-talking fellow immigrant Max, on his train ride to Toronto.
- Marcus is a pitiless, fast-talking psychopath who can turn his disadvantages into yours in one sentence flat.
- He watched Brooke inch towards the door, fast-talking her way to get in, as it looked.
- This slim fast-talking man is a whiz with an auction hammer.
- He shines as an energetic con artist who fast-talks himself onto the team.
- I couldn't believe how flustered I was getting over Tyler's fast-talking smooth persona.
- The two fast-talking characters are gone but the lively hustle at Peel and Ste-Catherine lives on.
- Every once in awhile though, glimpses of the old Eddie - the raw, deliriously over-the-top, fast-talking nutjob we all know and love - break through.
- But while losing none of his combative, fast-talking panache and his showman style, he's decided he has to clean up his act if he is to survive politically.
- They fast-talk you for 15 seconds and then have you sign up for something you could be paying off for the rest of your life.
- I'm not talking about turning them into hard-core, fast-talking salespeople.
- They are fast-talking agents who weasel monster contracts from owners for rookies who've quickly lost sight of just how lucky they are to have the opportunity to play in the NFL.
- The plot thickens when the hatched scheme takes an unexpected turn and the drama that follows is a maelstrom of seedy night spots, dumb cigarette girls, fast-talking heavies and quotable one-liners.
- The notion that sharp-suited, fast-talking salesmen make the world go round is simply not true.
- The imposing Egyptian-born executive is used to saying no - even to quick-thinking, fast-talking Irishmen promising to revolutionise his business.
- But don't pester him about his philosophical 180 from fast-talking danger-lover to caring family man.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.