In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It demands loyalty to the fatherland or motherland.
- Had not the years of turmoil affected those to whom appeals had been made about liberating the common fatherland from a tyrant?
- You managed to do a good deed, defeating the most sinister of dictators, who destroyed the country, killed our compatriots and wasted the wealth of the fatherland.
- The man's search for a tyrannical fatherland never ends!
- Such is the reward that traitors who betray their fatherland deserve.
- And then in the name of that right, shall I not slay them for murdering their Queen, and be slain in my turn by their countrymen as the invader of their fatherland?
- This realistic film helps people experience the emotions of a student who returns to his fatherland as a Christian.
- The salvation of the fatherland is left to us craftsmen and shopkeepers; but we are not equal to such a task; we've never even claimed to be capable of that.
- His existence since that dreadful event has involved the pathetic search for an alternative fatherland.
- Neatly dressed, their hair slicked back, they beam as they are roused to fervour for the fatherland by their tutor.
- The people called him the Apostle of Freedom because he gave his whole life for his ideal - the freedom of his fatherland.
- He was a refugee and recalls the time that he left his fatherland with sadness.
- He will turn you into a blessing for your environment, your fatherland, for the whole world, and guide you in bringing the world closer to God.
- I feel that India is my motherland, and America is my fatherland.
- I stood mute and broken in the winds of my fatherland, trying to listen to the part of me that wouldn't die.
- We define a location as human property; we inhabit it and call it motherland, fatherland, native land, homeland.
- We Muslims have no nationality, borders or motherlands or homelands or fatherlands or nativity.
- What we have to fight for is the freedom and independence of the fatherland, so that our people may be enabled to fulfill the mission assigned to it by the creator
- I meet people instantaneously - a girl from Nice who tells me about her fascination with Portugal, and a boy from Brazil, here to discover the fatherland.
- Such a blow would be far worse than whatever damage the liberals themselves could do to the fatherland.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.