In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1que engordacakes are extremely fattening — los pasteles engordan muchísimo / son muy engordantes
- On offer are generous helpings of bacon, ham and other greasy, fattening fare - all the staples associated with traditional Anglo-American cuisine.
- I read in the magazine that what makes bread fattening is the topping you put on it.
- The North Indian liking for all things fat and fattening is well-known.
- According to this story from CNN.com, the new salad can be more fattening than the burgers!
- The article speaks of ‘alcohol’ being fattening.
- If I couldn't afford to spend as much money as I do, but also couldn't/didn't want to cook, I wouldn't really be able to avoid the really fattening stuff.
- In fact you'd be likely to save money - no expensive fattening meals out, fewer bottles of wine and beer consumed, and as for chocolate…?
- That's largely due to making convenient but fattening diet choices.
- But others drink it as a less fattening alternative to cow's milk.
- Therefore carbohydrates themselves really are not fattening.
- I became vegetarian at about the age of 12, mostly because I found the idea of eating animals repulsive, but also to get me out of potentially fattening family and school dinners.
- He describes insulin as ‘the fattening hormone’.
- Although it hardly sounds appealing, the steak, Guinness and mushroom pie is very tasty, very filling and very fattening.
- In practical terms, it is only the protein element of a fattening ration that is relevant; and the main ingredients we use in the UK are maize gluten and soya.
- But hey, I'm sure it was less fattening than the jam doughnut milkshake I could have had.
- For example, beer with chips or nuts is a fattening combination.
- Potatoes are actually no more fattening than apples - it's how they're cooked and served that makes them fattening.
- But it is on the question of buns that he becomes most hot and cross, arguing that councillors' reliance on fattening chocolate biscuits is a potential health hazard.
- This North African courgette salad is a healthy alternative to hummus, using far less olive oil and missing out fattening tahini paste.
- Fortunately our nice IT people made us a very fattening cake to welcome us to our new office.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.