In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(containing fat)(substance/food) graso(substance/food) grasoso Latin America
- And snacks are no longer candy bars, chips and other fatty foods.
- Among women, the extra fatty tissue produces an excess of the female hormone oestrogen.
- Contrary to popular belief, acne is not caused by eating fatty food or chocolate.
- In stressful times, pregnant women are no different than the rest of us: they load up on carbohydrates, fatty foods, sweets and snacks.
- Mice lacking this protein can indulge in fatty food but remain as slim as mice on a lower-fat diet, a new study reports.
- This was before the National Health Service started and he was never told that eating fatty foods could cause cholesterol.
- Fatty, greasy, fried foods and fatty meats like hot dogs, beacon sausages, fish and chicken should be avoided at all costs just like butter, mayonnaise, salad dressings and other oils.
- Reducing the amount of fatty foods eaten prior to pregnancy is also a good bet, as that lessens exposure to persistent chemicals like PCBs and dioxin.
- The oils are then neutralized to remove free fatty acids which might give unwanted flavours.
- As Japanese have become fonder of fatty foods, fast-food chains and convenience stores have blanketed the country.
- Our bodies are thought to have a built-in system to measure levels of a key protein, leptin, which is produced in fatty tissue.
- Purge your diet of greasy, fatty foods, limit your sodium and up your daily water quotient to 8-10 glasses a day at least.
- Although it's good to remember that it is far more beneficial to consume additional carbohydrates and less fatty foods whenever possible.
- They believe fatty tissue produces hormones and products such as oestrogen and insulin which may promote tumour growth.
- She spends most of her time reading self-help books, eating vast amounts of fatty food and struggling against insomnia.
- To do this, she recommends cutting out all refined, sweetened and junk foods and eating more fresh non-starchy vegetables and good quality protein and fatty foods.
- Your diet should limit the amount of fatty and cholesterol-rich foods you eat.
- The steps include aerobic exercise, less fatty food, learning new skills and avoiding damaging free radicals.
- Lawyers are also looking at fat from a financial perspective, with lawsuits being considered for cases involving hidden fatty ingredients within food products.
- Fat-soluble vitamins lodge in the fatty tissues of the body and can be stored there.
- Liver transplantation has been necessary in patients with end-stage cirrhosis, but fatty liver disease may recur in the transplanted organ in some patients.
- Chronic alcohol use may result in fatty liver, hepatitis, and cirrhosis, with varying levels of jaundice.
- Cholesterol, which your body produces for building cells, is the main substance in fatty deposits that can develop in your arteries.
- A common heart condition is coronary heart disease, in which fatty deposits gradually block the coronary arteries.
- With the increasing incidence of obesity and diabetes in Western countries, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease has become a growing problem.
1gordito masculine informalgordita feminine informalgordi informalgordis Mexico informal
- I was a bit further up than last year, I think before I was in the back with the fatties and that made it hard to get going.
- Watch for the mean spirited and endless gags about fatties, boyish girls, overweight Hawaiians etc, etc.
- The occasional young face was apparent among the baldies and fatties.
- Sure, some fatties are fat for reasons they can not control (bad thyroid, mental illness of some sort, etc).
- It will be a gorgeous day when these fatties are finally nabbed.
- Best to do nothing at all and let the fatties figure things out for themselves.
- It's only a matter of time before societal ills, unhappy marriages, unsightly fatties and the concerns about those concerns, are a thing of the past.
- Worse, we are breeding another generation of potential fatties by allowing our children to eat too much, without enough competitive sport in case they fail and get upset.
- I always thought that obsessing about weight was for wimps and fatties.
- Faced with a Europe of fatties, governments across the EU are dithering in the face of pressure from multinational companies.
- Blaming others for our own poor financial choices is like the fatties that eat too much and exercise too little.
- He offers this advice to fatties on his website.
- Turns out the best way to get fatties, drunks and tar-breaths to improve their lifestyle is to get them on television and humiliate them.
- But the truth is that, despite 20 years' experience telling me that January in the gym is for part-timers who'll all be gone by February, I'm in there with the fatties.
- Can't the big fatties just use their brains to talk people down and calm situations?
- But they are by no means the worst fatties in Europe.
- Hmmm, maybe there's a use after all for the hordes of obese fatties that the media is on about.
- I can't wait to see those fatties… it's funny because they're morbidly obese.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.