In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(of face)rasgo masculinefeatures — facciones feminine
- delicate features — facciones delicadas
- a smile lit up his features — una sonrisa le iluminó el rostro
- They had come from many parts of the world, as was apparent from their skin colour, facial features, their hair and the babble of languages spoken softly.
- External features such as the eyes, nose, mouth and ears can be seen, and fingers and toes start to appear.
- The reader can almost see the characters' distinct features, smell the trailer-park they live in and hear their voices.
- He has strong facial features, with a slightly pointy chin and strong cheek bones.
- The doctor inspects your facial features and neck to assess your skin tone and bone structure.
- He could have passed for an officer of the navy, with his young, strong features, floppy dark hair and twinkling eyes.
- He had regular features, brown round eyes, brown light hair and a slight growth of beard.
- He had medium-length blonde hair, strong features, striking grey eyes.
- Those who had any flaws in their facial features, waists, necks, shoulders or backs had to leave.
- His features gave him the appearance of a college freshman, except for the lines that had begun to form at the corners of his eyes and mouth because of his nicotine addiction.
- She is a doll made of grubby green satin, with satin stumps for hands and feet, features inked onto a round of calico for her face, and her pointed head of grubby green satin also.
- As soon as he saw me though, I could see the distinct softening in his features, in particular his eyes.
- By mapping the face and focusing on features such as the eyes, nose and mouth, the system should be able to identify and help track down the closest match.
- He pushed his sandy hair away from the strong features on his face.
- The similarities between the two men are stark - the same strong jaw, angular features and receding hairline.
- His mouth and facial features were twisted into a look of horror.
1.2(of character, landscape, style)característica femininerasgo (distintivo) masculinethe house has many original features — la casa conserva muchos detalles arquitectónicos de época
- his legs are his best feature — lo mejor que tiene son las piernas
- to make a feature of sth — destacar algo
- Another major benefit lies in its safety features.
- Standard safety features include dual stage driver and passenger air bags and active front head restraints.
- Not until 1900, however, did half-tone photographic images become a regular feature of newspapers and magazines.
- Barker suggests that metaphor is an essential feature of human communication.
- It was the dominating feature of the news bulletins.
- The idea is to provide an opportunity to the manufacturers to explain the salient features of their products to the consumers.
- A small 1970s television sits in one corner - seemingly more of a decorative feature than anything else.
- It is both a distinguishing feature and hallmark of the field.
- Such a capacity to identify and contrast peoples by distinguishing characteristics is a feature of a sense of national identity.
- The salient feature of the battery-powered boat was that it had all scrap materials.
- They reflect, and are determined, by significant external features of that environment.
- They would restore the familiar and now beloved silhouette to the skyline, but would have different detailing and updated safety features.
- They distributed handbills and explained the salient features to those who showed interest in the policy.
- Frank Kermode touches lightly on the salient features of each play.
- A host of safety features, including 10 airbags, are also incorporated.
- Diversity of values, what philosophers calls the ‘fact of pluralism’, is the salient feature of modern societies in the West.
- The most significant feature appears to be the total restructuring of the town centre.
- These external features are significant because they constrain managers to act in particular ways.
- After all, speech is a dominant feature of our lives, and this very talk would be lost on you if it were to consist entirely of manual gestures.
- Quality installation is crucial to ensure the gate's safety features work properly and last a long time.
1.3(of machine, appliance, book)característica feminineprestación feminine
2.1Cinemapelícula femininefull-length feature — largometraje masculine
- main/second feature — película principal/complementaria
- before noun feature film — película
2.2Journalismartículo masculinehis column was a regular feature in the paper — su columna era uno de los artículos regulares del periódico
- The sheer volume of press pieces and broadcast features about restaurants is witness to that.
- She has co-written a number of books and also writes regular newspaper features on nutrition and healthy lifestyles.
- There are supplements in newspapers and features on television programmes.
- Her commercial work includes newspaper and magazine features and book covers.
- These stories are found in numerous newspaper style sections and in soft magazine features.
- The same news director ordered a female reporter to do a feature on the ‘amateur strip night’ at a local club.
- Broadcasters could do a feature on children's perspective of daily news and create children's news bulletins.
- The site covers up-to-the minute news, features and analyses on Pakistan, India, South Asia and the rest of the world.
- There he meets Catherine, a reporter doing a major magazine feature on him.
- At the time there was a craze for bingo games in the tabloid newspapers, so a feature was introduced where the day's bingo numbers were read out.
- This column is packed full of information and features about all aspects of careers, employment, recruitment and qualifications.
- The press has devoted innumerable commentaries and special features to the topic - many of which are critical.
- To mark the launch, the BBC Nairobi team will be broadcasting special features and interviews live from Kisumu during the week.
- A feature service which will engage journalists from all the countries and get them to produce features to feed to newspapers in the region.
- Work with the news department to promote your columnists or other special features.
- However, a couple of recent newspaper features from that country do report on the issue.
- We want to be of service to our community, to become a clearing house for newsy features of all aspects of living in Japan.
- Special features show how news programming has been created over the years.
- Usually I write articles on my own but a colleague and I decided to cooperate on writing a big feature for a newspaper.
- They used the opportunity to run new features such as news bulletins which they knew would be obligatory if they won a licence.
2.3Radio Televisiondocumental masculine
3US(incentive to buy)oferta feminine
1.1he was featured in 'The Globe' recently — 'The Globe' publicó un artículo sobre él hace poco
- the paper features an article on feminism — el periódico trae un artículo sobre el feminismo
- the state visit was featured on the television news — se destacó la visita de estado en las noticias de la televisión
1.2the film features her as … — en la película aparece en el papel de …
- featuring John Ball — con la actuación de John Ball
- The film opens with a tender, candlelit love scene that features both actors in all their naked glory.
- The latest demonstration, which took place on Sunday, featured thousands of participants.
- There is one deleted scene featuring actor Bill Hickey in an expanded role.
- It features the two actors that played two of the most iconic and legendary screen villains of all time.
- It's a tough thing to try to do, seeing as any indie film is going to feature cool stars, cool music and a cool aesthetic.
- This episode features well-known actors such as Adam Pike, Terry Norton and Russel Savadier.
- There were massive fund-raising benefits featuring famous actors.
- Strangely, these two movies feature the same actor, Kate Beckinsale, and they both involve vampires and werewolves.
- The evening buffet features the particular dishes from the selected province, plus fare from other areas.
- And it'll also save the advertisers money, since they'll be able to feature a film star and cricketer rolled into one.
- When looking at the six films that featured the original crew, it is important to do a couple of things.
- Kung-fu has become popular in many countries, primarily through films which feature martial arts stars.
- Both movies feature the actors carrying out all their own stunts.
- One clip even features an actor dressed as a witch doctor dancing around a smoking cauldron.
- Its cast features a group of actors you've likely never seen before and will likely never see again.
- From time to time I'll be drawn to a movie because it features an actor I adore.
- It is curious, however, that so few of the work's prominent recordings feature French sopranos.
- Opening next month, it's the first of five movies that will feature the actor this year.
1.3Businesstener en oferta
- In fact, this barely even felt like a movie about animals - it just happened to feature a horse prominently.
- Almost every week, he is featured prominently and called an idiot or worse.
- Twenty years later, his house at Soham would feature a prominent framed picture of a jet fighter on a wall of the living room.
- Keeping the business executive in mind, the hotel also features an extensive business centre.
- It is assumed that this opportunity to feature the special attributes of a grand country house will be grasped by the operator.
- The hotel also features excellent meeting facilities and boardrooms.
- The magazine features articles by historians on both the left and the right.
- Or, you can go to one of the private hotels which feature their own thermal bathing facilities.
- All of these editions feature introductions by prominent gay writers who reflect on the impact the books had on them.
- It may even feature a sky-high hotel on its top floors.
- Official government tourist videos prominently feature Maasai customs and colorful beadwork.
- It features a prominent campaign donation link on its front page.
- The complex will also feature luxury hotel and service apartment towers, due for completion in 2005.
- A special leisure section, featuring events, hotels and cinemas, is also planned with the tourism market in mind.
- In New York, several new hotels feature works by prominent artists.
- In addition to our cover story, this edition features two articles about African American art.
- The hotel also features a new business centre, as well as seven meeting rooms.
- The general concept that frozen foods do not mean junk foods is to be emphasised on packaging, which will feature prominent nutrition information.
- The magazine also features articles centering on movie stars and their matches.
- The hotel will also feature a health and leisure club with swimming pool, gym, sauna and jacuzzi.
2.1(have as feature)ofrecer
1(appear)figurarto feature on a list — figurar en una lista
- rice features prominently in their diet — el arroz ocupa un lugar importante en su alimentación
- the problem does not feature in this report — en este informe no se pone de relieve el problema
- Here is a run-down on their qualities and, more importantly, their chances of featuring in the tournament.
- All these subjects have much in common and might be grouped together as important features in a wildlife garden.
- He had given his first important exhibition of his works and had also been featured in Time magazine.
- But that didn't stop him accepting payment for featuring in women's magazine stories.
- The police officer is the fourth officer from the police force to resign after featuring in the programme, screened on Tuesday night.
- Despite her personal life having often featured in the tabloid newspapers, she felt there was still an important story to tell.
- There's more than a bit of outrage at the cathedral as a result of it featuring in an advert with a topless model being ‘crucified’ in front of it.
- The Howard government has been given a huge gift that will almost certainly still be featuring in their election advertising in 2007.
- Since opening, the building has become an icon of America, featuring in films.
- Atman has already won awards and is also featuring in the forthcoming International Film Festival of Kerala.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.