In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- This federation of Independent churches, now some 30-40 strong, has been successful in the south amongst the unchurched.
- Will trade unions within the federation fund international work?
- Large parts of Italy came to a standstill yesterday, when 13 million workers followed a call by the three main union federations for an eight-hour general strike.
- Although there have been job cuts in the public sector, public sector unions have become proportionately larger within the union federation.
- The international federation has organized regular sports events for organ recipients to advocate organ donation and transplant worldwide.
- Also coming up is a federation cabaret and flower arranging display as well as the federation Christmas party taking place in December.
- The main trade union federations and professional associations called protest demonstrations for Saturday.
- There is a power struggle going on in global sport between the owners of particular clubs, the national federations and the international organisations.
- Union leaders at the executive council meeting did find common ground around dramatic proposals to strengthen state labor federations and central labor councils.
- Balfour said yesterday that he recognised the autonomy of sports federations, but autonomy needed accountability and responsibility.
- In spite of these difficulties, a true federation of independent laboratories still does exist.
- A 36-hour general strike called by three union federations in Argentina virtually shut down the nation of 37 million inhabitants last week.
- The three major trade union federations in Italy have organised a four-hour general strike for Friday 24 October.
- It took decades for them to organise into federations of trade unions.
- On Friday Bill Jordan, head of the international federation of trade unions led a group of less than 100 people in a silent protest as the trade talks began.
- The action, which is officially a one-day strike called by all the trade union federations and confederations, will be continued indefinitely by many workers.
- The bus workers belong to a federation of 63 unions with a total of more than 17,000 members.
- The idea is to target international sports federations and organisers to get them to bring high profile events to Ireland,
- On March 21 several union federations launched a 24-hour general strike in Argentina.
- The union federations called six one-day general strikes in 18 months.
- The proposed European federation is unprecedented: no democracy has ever merged with another to form such an entity.
- But by the time of Australian federation, nationalism had undergone a profound transformation.
- And some type of federation, where all tribes, all people are represented, is the best hope that we can have for that country.
- In a referendum in 1992, Montenegrins voted in favour of federation with Serbia and Kosovo.
- It goes to the heart of our founding fathers' vision of federation that all voices in all states of Australia be represented and have influence in Australian society.
- And, contrary to the claims of the fathers of federation, Australian nationalism was not progressive.
- Also, let's not kid ourselves about the roots of Australian nationalism, the fathers of federation and all the rest of it.
- This interpretation of the motives of the fathers of federation hardened later into an unshakable conviction.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.