In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's poached skate with fennel or lamb kidney sausage on bacon and onion bread.
- All the family are highly aromatic; fennel, like many others in this family, has an aniseed-like smell.
- Place the star anise, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick and ginger in a mortar.
- Angelica belongs to the Umbellifer family and is of similar habit to dill, fennel, caraway and lovage.
- Add the chopped fennel and parsley and cook for another five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- As is often the case, the flavors of the filling had had time to blend together, and fennel and tuna are a great match.
- Grey mullet is popular in Mediterranean dishes and goes well with rosemary, thyme, garlic and fennel.
- My favourite luxury dish would be a pork cutlet with olives, dates and fennel that I serve in my restaurant.
- I add white wine, some onions and fennel, and then serve it whole on a long dish with mayonnaise, slices of lemon and basmati rice.
- These include soya products, beetroot, parsley, root fennel and yams.
- Grind the fennel, cumin, coriander and cloves before you start to cook.
- Place the orange segments, fennel, red onion and baby rocket leaves in a bowl and toss gently with the dressing.
- The wispy green or bronze foliage of fennel will add a nice contrast to my other potpourri plants.
- Reputed to have aphrodisiac qualities, the plant resembles fennel, and used to be collected for sale at London markets.
- Dill belongs to the parsley family and is closely related to fennel; the two plants are hard to tell apart.
- If using baby fennel, simply trim away any tough outer leaves and slice off the bottom and top of the fronds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.