In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(once domesticated)(cat/pigeon) asilvestrado
- A pack of feral dogs lived among the heaps of dirt for a time, scavenging among empty beer cans and shopping trolleys.
- Animal rights activists object to euthanizing stray and feral cats at either place.
- This is a high, wild and remote spot, home to feral goats, red deer and golden eagle.
- How long before the novelty wears off, and that kitten ends up another feral cat?
- She said previously the feral cats kept down the numbers of rats and mice on farms.
- The citizens of southern California are debating the balance between feral cats versus dirty rats.
- Now the sheer cliffs are inhabited by choughs, golden eagles, feral goats and basking seals.
- The activists were protesting plans by the hospital to trap up to 75 feral cats and turn them over to a local animal pound.
- The deer, sheep and feral goats obviously appreciated the route through the forest too.
- Apparently rural hunters use dogs to hunt down and kill feral pigs.
- Thankfully, a new campaign has been launched to help secure protection for feral goats around Ireland.
- His hunting skills have also been used for the control of feral pigs in Hawaii, where he has advised on the use and training of dogs.
- He rates predation by feral cats and foxes as the single biggest threat to native animals in the Territory.
- Suddenly a pack of skinny Malaysian dogs shot onto the lawns below, chasing a feral cat.
- The electricians will have to watch out for snakes in the water, wild animals and feral dogs.
- The impact of both domestic and feral cats on small native animal wildlife and birds is a controversial issue in Australia.
- Somehow they know to elude predators - birds, crabs and feral cats - to reach the sea.
- If, however, the cat and kitten are feral, you might consider keeping the kitten.
- While thousands of acres have been fenced in, much of the land is idle and feral cats and foxes have breached fence lines.
- A labour-intensive programme of trapping will reduce the numbers of stoats and feral cats.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.