In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Religionfiesta femininefestividad feminine
- Passover is one of the most important religious festivals in the Jewish calendar.
- These shows take place at fairs, religious festivals, weddings, funerals, and sporting events.
- Because this time of year is not only a time of religious festivals.
- Among Indo-Fijians, feasting is associated with marriages and religious festivals.
- Could there be some innocent reason to do with tax or religious festivals that would result in contributions tending to bunch at that time?
- These are usually performed at religious fairs and festivals or at harvest time.
- Falafel are made for religious festivals, especially among Christian communities during Lent when meat is forbidden.
- One example of this is the issue of prayers and celebration of non-Christian religious festivals in schools.
- It is in these places that festivals are celebrated with religious music and masked dances.
- There was a festival atmosphere in UK bookshops as children eagerly flocked to snap up the latest tale.
- This epic of Dravidian India is of the type that is told in homes rather than at religious festivals.
- When my sister taught at a junior school they celebrated all the religious festivals.
- Here in Doi Tung, these tribal villagers continue to celebrate their ancient festivals and religious rituals.
- Villagers may derive their greatest pleasure from fairs and religious festivals.
- In India celebration of fairs and festivals has become like a ritual.
- Even in the contemporary church, this is one of the least religious of the festivals.
- Besides the religious connotation of the festival, it is seen as a time for revelry.
- We do celebrate more religious festivals than most schools, but the children enjoy it.
- At a season of religious festivals, the rich peoples of the world indulge in a benign competition to do good.
- He charged that in Tripura Hindu religious festivals were not allowed to be celebrated by Christians.
2Cinema Theatre Musicfestival masculinea pop festival — un festival de música pop
- Sponsorships are big, including film festivals, concert tours and music showcases.
- This was the latest in a series of film festivals, displaying the work of African moviemakers.
- It has now been seen at 15 international festivals, and had its British premiere at the Edinburgh Film Festival.
- It also organises major music festivals throughout the world such as the Fleadh and Leeds music festival.
- They used to take me up to Auckland for Philharmonia concerts and film festivals.
- Of course, the presence of two major international jazz festivals also contributes to the country's jazzy well-being.
- She popularised women's films through various festivals around the world and learned more about them and their way of work.
- Hilton Tokyo has been busier than usual with a series of colorful and exciting international cultural festivals.
- The world situation has had deleterious effects on a couple of international film festivals this week.
- Also, he is trying to send the movie to several film festivals.
- The films were hand picked by organisers who travelled and networked with major international film festivals.
- He's played a number of major jazz festivals and recently recorded his first album.
- Until one makes time to watch two film festivals which ran almost back to back mid- and late October into this first week of November.
- Most of the films have been shown in film festivals across the globe and have been internationally acclaimed.
- Such was the impact that we decided to roll out a series of organic festivals across the country to promote eco-friendly living.
- What is required is a concerted effort to promote such films at foreign festivals.
- It's great for films, festivals, concerts, and of course the opportunity to study at the university.
- Mr. Kiran and Ms. Satyan finished the project in nearly two months and sent the film to three short film festivals abroad.
- Some cineastes still curse Hoop Dreams for turning film festivals into video festivals.
- His music for Indian art films won awards in international film festivals like Venice and Cannes in the 1950s.
3(celebration)fiesta feminine(atmosphere) festivo(atmosphere) de fiesta
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.