In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Ferdinand IV also alienated the rural masses by failing to abolish the feudal system and alleviate the tax burden.
- The feudal system meant that knights had to provide the king with soldiers when the king demanded them.
- So it's pretty much like a feudal system of the kings where people are thrown into prison and they have no way of getting out.
- Last year, he attacked the Scottish Executive for breaching his human rights by abolishing the feudal system.
- Such absolute power can easily corrupt, and it is no wonder that the feudal system in Pakistan is humanly degrading.
- After the Norman Conquest the system of feudal landholding required the lord of the manor to provide a court for his tenants.
- The Viking Age ended when many states in Europe developed the feudal system.
- This reliance on the local lord of the manor was all part of the feudal system introduced by William the Conqueror.
- This distinction can be traced back to the land tenure system of feudal times.
- Authoritarianism is thus engrained in the feudal personality and is as essential to the feudal system as oxygen is to human life.
- Indeed, promoting capitalism often results in a system that resembles medieval feudal societies.
- With the abolition of the feudal system, the superior's right to enforce these restrictions will disappear.
- The Chamberlain brought in revenue, locally supported by the officials of royal burghs, and feudal barons.
- Churchill was a remnant of a feudal system and his contempt for progress expressed itself in his attitude towards workers.
- In a feudal system there is always another member of the clan to step forward to assume the leadership.
- By the end of the ninth century the feudal system had bound together the greater part of the population.
- Here we see the germ of a practice which later on developed into the European feudal system.
- The right to teach at the universities was often granted like a title of land in the feudal system.
- A similar pattern evolved in countries which were in the Roman empire or were part of the feudal system.
- The feudal system is cloistered and I welcomed the change as it gave me a chance to grow emotionally and spiritually.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.