In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1día de maniobras masculineto have a field day
- pickpockets had a field day — los carteristas hicieron su agosto
- the press have had a field day with the scandal — el escándalo ha sido un verdadero festín para la prensa
- Saturday was the field day, when all the companies met, and were trained together.
- We have had field day attendees representing almost every branch of the Armed Forces: Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps.
- In the Navy, "field day" refers to a thorough cleaning of the ship's spaces.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.