In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mariscal de campo masculine
- Within a few years, however, he regained his stature, eventually becoming a field marshal and commander in chief of the British army.
- Two German field marshals, Erwin Rommel and Gerd yon Rundstedt, command Blumenson's respect.
- At the age of 31 a field marshal in the Chinese army while still a major in the British one, he went on to become the Governor General of the Sudan, where he was eventually killed.
- The former field marshal, once the highest-ranking officer in the Confederate High Command, had retired from the service when he was named interim Chancellor.
- In 1941 Smuts was made an honorary field marshal in the British Army, but asked that he still be known by his old rank of general.
- The apex of Alexander's military career was the capture of Rome on 4 June 1944, for which he received his field marshal's baton.
- Dr. Mott should know that this would be a promotion for the journalist, something like from a sergeant to a field marshal!
- Dressed as a field marshal, the rank to which Catherine II had promoted him in 1773, he wears the Star of the Order of Saint Andrew.
- Neither field marshal nor platoon leader should be point man.
- The Russian tsarist army had field marshals including Suvorov, but the rank, like all the old military ranks, was abolished in 1917.
- Over the years, field marshals, generals, prime ministers and archbishops have been made honorary freemen of the city, although Winston Churchill did not take up the offer.
- He said there were field marshals and generals at the top, who organised and funded the importations of large quantities of cigarettes and truck drivers.
- Even at a distance, the field marshal of Ple'ebus's army could be heard barking out orders at those in his command.
- He is appealing to Blair to give the Commons a vote on going to war, and points to strong opposition across the spectrum of British life, from field marshals to church leaders.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.