In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in cricket, baseball)fildeador masculinefildeadora feminine
- He's been a superb fielder and a more than useful offspin bowler.
- Both are predominantly top order batsmen, but they are both off-spin bowlers and exceptional fielders as well.
- Not only was he a commanding batsman, but was an outstanding fielder.
- While India has the stronger batting line-up, Pakistan has good bowlers and fielders.
- The bowlers and fielders were quick to remind the other batsmen of their incompetence to bat at this level.
- The umpires make the determination as to whether or not a fielder intentionally drops a fly ball.
- The fielder on the mid-wicket boundary did not have time to move.
- He was an excellent fielder, particularly in the covers, and a decent bowler of leg breaks.
- However, every captain is first a player - be it a batsman, bowler, or a fielder.
- Like Greg, he was a right-handed batsman, a superb slip fielder and occasional leg-spin bowler.
- I would restore the old baseball custom of allowing fielders to leave their gloves on the field between innings.
- Even then the gloom was such that the scoreboard shone like Piccadilly Circus on a wet night while both batsmen and fielders needed radar to sight the ball.
- Thinking themselves unbeatable, the Australians claim they fear no batsman, bowler nor fielder.
- Unlike at Lord's, this time the England close fielders remembered to ask the batsman if he was all right.
- Right fielder Melvin Mora and second baseman Jose Morban both thought the other one would catch it.
- Murali was laughing, the close fielders and the wicketkeeper were laughing too.
- Umpires must keep their eyes on fielders who intentionally drop line drives to create double plays.
- Ground balls keep the fielders ready and make the games go faster.
- I was wondering about fielders leaving their gloves on the field while their team was batting.
- Batsmen attack, fielders dive and slide, bowlers use reverse swing and mystery balls.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.