In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1quintoyou're the fifth person to ask me that — eres la quinta persona que me pregunta eso
- Henry V — Enrique V — read as: "Enrique quinto"
- it's his fifth birthday — cumple cinco años
- it's their fifth wedding anniversary — es su quinto aniversario de boda
- that's the fifth time he's done that — es la quinta vez que hace eso
- I was fifth on the list — yo era el quinto/la quinta de la lista
- fifth part/share — quinta parte
- The fifth day of a five day forecast is accurate 20% of the time and these guys are gonna tell me what the weather will be like a hundred years from now?
- It was a subtle touch, one I didn't notice until the opening sequence of the fifth episode - and by then it was too late.
- They simply ran out of steam in the second half to slump to their fifth defeat out of five, a record that consigns them to the wooden spoon, their first wooden spoon in the competition since 2002.
- The starting point for the language that became English, and for his book, is the arrival in England in the fifth century of Germanic warrior tribes.
- After three minutes his sharp pass to Broadbent saw the ball quickly moved on to Mark Cain, who notched his fifth try in five games.
- The final independent invention of zero in India was long debated by scholars, but seems to be set around the middle of the fifth century.
- He looked at his watch for what seemed to be the fifth time in five minutes.
- These markets and institutions have changed dramatically in the five years since the fifth edition was published.
- There were 39 brands of light vehicles for sale in 1986, the fifth best year on record.
- Beware, though, as some allow only a limited number of region switches such that after perhaps five toggles, the fifth region code becomes fixed on the drive.
- One of the most romantic ruins in Wiltshire, the castle was built in the late 14th century by the fifth Lord Lovel.
- By June 1806 Bowditch had read the first four of Laplace's five volumes (the fifth volume was not published by Laplace until 1825).
- Joe Nathan got the final two outs for his fifth save in five opportunities.
- Seems I'm moving desks again - the fifth time in five years, which makes for a nice round average.
- That day, when Ally had yet again defended his talent, he pitched horribly; giving up three runs in the fourth inning and another five in the fifth inning.
- Additional miscellaneous activities are also frequent apart from these major groupings, and can constitute a fifth category.
- The ‘mountain’ is named for the patron saint of Paris, who founded a convent there towards the end of the fifth century.
- This is now the fifth day, five days on, and we are waiting to know what happened to him and I, his mother, I need to know what happened to Anthony.
- In the fifth month you have five pairs (because the first pair of babies has become old enough to reproduce).
- In the 1990s the first woman Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor, for example, was the critical fifth vote in more five to four decisions than anybody else.
- The apartment was on the fifth floor of a five story brick building in a part of town that had once been much grander than it was now.
1.2(in seniority, standing)quinto
2(elliptical use)Paradise Boy fell at the fifth — Paradise Boy cayó en la quinta valla (/ el quinto obstáculo etc. )
- he'll be arriving on the fifth (of the month) — llegará el (día) cinco
- Uncle Ben is the fifth from the right — el tío Ben es el quinto de derecha a izquierda
- we'll arrive (on) May fifth/ May the fifth — llegaremos el cinco de mayo
- the fifth of May — el cinco de mayo
1(in position, time, order)en quinto lugarGoodwill finished fifth — Goodwill llegó el quinto / en quinto lugar
2(with superl)the fifth highest mountain in the world — la montaña que ocupa el quinto lugar entre las más altas del mundo
1Mathematicsquinto masculinethree fifths — tres quintos
- one fifth of ten is two — un quinto / la quinta parte de diez es dos
2(part)quinta parte femininequinto masculine
medida equivalente a 0,757 litros
5(in competition)he finished a disappointing fifth — llegó en un deslucido quinto lugar / puesto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.