In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1quintoyou're the fifth person to ask me that — eres la quinta persona que me pregunta eso
- Henry V — Enrique V
- it's his fifth birthday — cumple cinco años
- it's their fifth wedding anniversary — es su quinto aniversario de boda
- that's the fifth time he's done that — es la quinta vez que hace eso
- I was fifth on the list — yo era el quinto/la quinta de la lista
- fifth part/share — quinta parte
- The fifth day of a five day forecast is accurate 20% of the time and these guys are gonna tell me what the weather will be like a hundred years from now?
- The apartment was on the fifth floor of a five story brick building in a part of town that had once been much grander than it was now.
- There were 39 brands of light vehicles for sale in 1986, the fifth best year on record.
- They simply ran out of steam in the second half to slump to their fifth defeat out of five, a record that consigns them to the wooden spoon, their first wooden spoon in the competition since 2002.
- After three minutes his sharp pass to Broadbent saw the ball quickly moved on to Mark Cain, who notched his fifth try in five games.
- Seems I'm moving desks again - the fifth time in five years, which makes for a nice round average.
- Joe Nathan got the final two outs for his fifth save in five opportunities.
- In the 1990s the first woman Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor, for example, was the critical fifth vote in more five to four decisions than anybody else.
- These markets and institutions have changed dramatically in the five years since the fifth edition was published.
- The starting point for the language that became English, and for his book, is the arrival in England in the fifth century of Germanic warrior tribes.
- It was a subtle touch, one I didn't notice until the opening sequence of the fifth episode - and by then it was too late.
- He looked at his watch for what seemed to be the fifth time in five minutes.
- Beware, though, as some allow only a limited number of region switches such that after perhaps five toggles, the fifth region code becomes fixed on the drive.
- That day, when Ally had yet again defended his talent, he pitched horribly; giving up three runs in the fourth inning and another five in the fifth inning.
- In the fifth month you have five pairs (because the first pair of babies has become old enough to reproduce).
- Additional miscellaneous activities are also frequent apart from these major groupings, and can constitute a fifth category.
- The ‘mountain’ is named for the patron saint of Paris, who founded a convent there towards the end of the fifth century.
- This is now the fifth day, five days on, and we are waiting to know what happened to him and I, his mother, I need to know what happened to Anthony.
- The final independent invention of zero in India was long debated by scholars, but seems to be set around the middle of the fifth century.
- One of the most romantic ruins in Wiltshire, the castle was built in the late 14th century by the fifth Lord Lovel.
- By June 1806 Bowditch had read the first four of Laplace's five volumes (the fifth volume was not published by Laplace until 1825).
1.2(in seniority, standing)quinto
2(elliptical use)Paradise Boy fell at the fifth — Paradise Boy cayó en la quinta valla (or el quinto obstáculo etc.)
- he'll be arriving on the fifth (of the month) — llegará el (día) cinco
- Uncle Ben is the fifth from the right — el tío Ben es el quinto de derecha a izquierda
- we'll arrive (on) May fifth / (British) May the fifth — llegaremos el cinco de mayo
- the fifth of May — el cinco de mayo
1(in position, time, order)en quinto lugarGoodwill finished fifth — Goodwill llegó el quinto / en quinto lugar
2(with superl)the fifth highest mountain in the world — la montaña que ocupa el quinto lugar entre las más altas del mundo
1.1Mathematicsquinto masculinethree fifths — tres quintos
- one fifth of ten is two — un quinto / la quinta parte de diez es dos
1.2(part)quinta parte femininequinto masculine
1.4US (measure)medida equivalente a 0,757 litros
1.5(in competition)he finished a disappointing fifth — llegó en un deslucido quinto lugar / puesto
- The winner gets 15 points, the second 10, the third is awarded seven, the fourth gets five and the fifth earns three.
- He piloted his race car to a fifth place finish in race two of the weekend.
- At the Leinster Schools held in Dublin, Cheryl Nolan won gold in the junior 1,500m and Sinead Kelly competing in the same race finished a credible fifth place.
- Co-captain Mike Logue earned OUA all-star status at the competition with a fifth place finish, the highest by a Warrior.
- Assuming Jarrod Washburn, Ramon Ortiz, John Lackey, and Aaron Sele stay around, it could be quite a race for the fifth spot.
- But fifth place, five seconds behind the American, will have given him a huge boost in confidence for the tests that lie ahead.
- Jane, who was fifth last year, led the way for Knavesmire to collect the ladies team prize by taking runner-up slot in 84-31.
- Without the drive-through penalty, Christian would have finished the race in fifth or sixth place.
- Emmett ran a good race to finish in fifth place with a ‘Personal Best’ of 4 minutes 2 seconds.
- He finished the race in fifth place having started from 16th position on the grid.
- Her best this season in four races was a fifth place in Germany which left her in seventh place overall in the rankings.
- The club expects strong competition for the fifth spot.
- He has risen from the fifth best-placed Australian to being their top ranked player and if he can maintain his remarkable run, it will only be a short time before he climbs into the top ten.
- One of our brave lads, Andrew Homan, went over the side and made short work of the net with a knife, but it cost us 25 minutes, finishing that race in fifth place in a dying wind.
- This created the strange statistic that City finished fifth bottom, but they actually had a positive goal difference.
- A five-way competition for the fifth spot in the rotation has no real front-runner.
- He rejoined the race in sixth place but fought back to finish in fifth place and had to settle for picking up championship points.
- We were ranked fifth going into the race and came out third with a new British record.
- Clach climbed five places into fifth spot after a wash out in the Highland League, with a 2-0 triumph over north rivals Fort William.
- Like all of the fastest cars at Michigan, he came up short in the fuel mileage game but still raced to a fifth place finish.
2also fifth gearquinta feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.