In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1rueda de repuesto femininerueda de recambio feminine Spainllanta de repuesto feminine Colombiallanta de refacción feminine Mexicoauxiliar feminine River Plateto feel like a fifth wheel — sentirse de carabina Spain informal
- I remembered The Duo hardly ever had double dates together, since Devon and Jemma thought I would feel left out if I was not invited, and I would be the fifth wheel if I joined.
- Socially, I don't think it's impacted me - my friends are good about not making me the fifth wheel, it's not keeping me from jobs or anything.
- Whenever I go out with my friends, I feel like the fifth wheel.
- In 1959, when he died, Bloch's work was pretty much a fifth wheel in the wider classical-music world.
- We were at the mall and I was trailing behind the two couples going in and out of the conversation and feeling very much like a fifth wheel.
- I could have gone by myself, but it wouldn't have been a smart thing to do because two couples and the fifth wheel usually don't work out too well to begin with.
- I felt like a fifth wheel and I hated it, but I didn't say anything.
- Oh come on, we still need to find out who the fifth wheel is.
- Judge George Hatch always felt like a fifth wheel when he was invited to join his four friends.
- I was always the third wheel - or rather, fifth wheel.
- Armed with a meat and cheese tray and some chips and dip, she was determined to make it through the day, however, even if it meant being a fifth wheel and having to see Nolan and Kari together.
- Months of double dates with me as the fifth wheel flashed before my eyes.
- Though they tried to include me in their activities I generally declined their invitations not wanting to be a third wheel or a fifth wheel or a seventh wheel.
- I grew tired of being the fifth wheel so I got up and went into my room to study.
- Josh, his date, Jessica, Mary and Jason all went as a group of friends, but the whole night Jessica felt like the fifth wheel.
- I was now the fifth wheel, and I hated being the fifth wheel.
- It was nice to feel like we were a part of the program instead of a fifth wheel and a pain in the neck.
- Don't they become fifth wheels, spinning pointlessly in relation to the processes responsible for human action?
- As a bloke in the delivery suite, you always feel like a fifth wheel anyway.
- Chris had remarried, and Gill felt like a fifth wheel while living with him, his new wife, and his two stepchildren.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.